Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if this is normal or a symptom of something wrong. I have an '04 Daytona 955i and I have just changed the oil, spark plugs and fuel filter.

The bike idles fine and if I roll the throttle the rpms climb nicely. But if I crack the throttle open quickly then the engine bogs for a split second, the rpm's drop and then it fires to life.

It seems as though the fuel system is having trouble supplying fuel too quickly. Is this a symptom of something wrong? Could it be the fuel pump? the fuel pressure regulator? How can I check?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Which pipe do you have on it? When I put my carbon pipe on, I was getting the same problem until I had the bike tuned.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
activeseven, Was this a problem before the plug change? Or the fuel filter change?

Brad
To be honest I have no clue, I've never snapped the throttle that quickly. The bike itself is still very new to me so I'm unsure of how it normally runs.

It's possible it was always like this and I just didn't notice cause I'm pretty gentle with the throttle. The only reason I realized it this time is because a friend of mine was over and he rolled the throttle really fast after we were done with the plugs. That was when we first noticed this.

The bike has sat for a long time... like years. It only had 2,400 miles on it when I picked it up. I knew i would have to deal with issues related to it just sitting around which is why I've been looking at the fuel delivery system.

The previous owner put this exhaust on and a K&N filter but hasn't remapped the ECU. I've had it at the Triumph dealer and they say that they loaded a new map on it, but they were also trying to convince me I needed new injectors.... (rolls eyes)

To this point I have replaced the spark plugs, fuel filter and changed the oil and oil filter. I've run Seafoam through the intakes and currently have Seafoam in the gas tank.

Do you think something might be up with the new filter and plugs?

If it will help I can post a video of it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
This happens only at idle? Or any time?

If only at idle, I wouldn't worry about it

If all the time, I would say it is the fuel mapping.

I run a PCIII, and everytime the weather changes I'm out with a laptop fandangling the values by a few percent seeking perfect throttle response.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That sounds like my old symptom. Get a tuneboy or have a dealer zero your throttle trim and also check that the TPS is functioning and adjusted properly. I hated my Daytona because of that but now all is well.

Nutshell:
Get TOR tune and dealer reset throttle trim with gameboy and see if that alone fixes.
If not, have them check TPS operation (reports throttle opening and closing)
Check TPS voltage. should be .608, many are set to .598 and in my experience makes a huge difference in throttle response.
If not better, then get a Tuneboy and experiment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like my old symptom. Get a tuneboy or have a dealer zero your throttle trim
Would this do the trick? Link

I'm not sure if it happens only at idle just yet, I haven't been able to ride the bike as the weather has been crappy. But its a beautiful day today so I'll take it for a spin later.

I was really thinking of whether or not this was a new problem and i don't seem to recall this happening when I was running seafoam through the intake. Pretty sure when I was pouring the seafoam down into the intake I was revving it pretty quickly. Thankfully my friend video tapped me doing it so I can refer back to that tonight when I get home from work.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That is a forced adaptation...I do that a few times a year but with a different method that i found in the factory service manual.

That is a little different than your issue but it might smooth things out a little.

The manual had very specific airbox and coolant temperature for it to run but basically, you just need to warm up the bike and let it idle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so I took off the tank again and took a hard look at the airbox. Check the sensors and hoses and thats when I noticed that one of the drain hoses, the larger one all the way on the left had managed to fold in on itself and wasn't letting air into the box. I straightened it out and put it all back together again.

She definitely idled better and on a quick snap of the throttle she doesn't bog....as much. The bog is still there but much less pronounced. She was still difficult to start but thats another issue.

Since the bog is much less pronounced now I will assume that its a tuning issue and I am ordering a power commander III this friday.

Hopefully that will solve it :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would seriously consider a Tuneboy over a PCIII.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would seriously consider a Tuneboy over a PCIII.
Thanks for the advice, I did some research on the tuneboy vs PCIII and I have to agree, I prefer the tuneboy.

Problem is that I mentioned it to my wife last night that I had to purchase a Power Commander III for my bike, I didn't know about the Tuneboy at the time.

As I was sitting here at work reading about the Tuneboy and think "yes" this is what I need, my phone rings and its my wife. She tells me that she found a brand new Power Command III for my bike on ebay and she already ordered it for me.

She was so proud of herself I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't what I wanted :(

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ha, I'd take a power commander and a great wife over a tuneboy and a wife I needed to struggle with any day! Sounds like a great woman!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hard start

Hey, I've noticed a hard starting condition on my old '04 955i AND my '06 955i. You know how I helped mine out? When I'm ready to fire it up, I'll make sure I've got everything ready for cranking before I turn the key. As soon as I turn the key I thumb the starter switch. Seems like high fuel pressure makes for hard starting, i.e. long crank times. Don't let the fuel pump "over-pressure" the fuel system. If this is your same type of problem, maybe this'll help you out!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, I've noticed a hard starting condition on my old '04 955i AND my '06 955i. You know how I helped mine out? When I'm ready to fire it up, I'll make sure I've got everything ready for cranking before I turn the key. As soon as I turn the key I thumb the starter switch. Seems like high fuel pressure makes for hard starting, i.e. long crank times. Don't let the fuel pump "over-pressure" the fuel system. If this is your same type of problem, maybe this'll help you out!
Thanks for the info, I'm gonna try this asap!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts