Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently stripped down my Scrambler for it to be painted, now that the bike is back together I think my engine might be getting a bit hot, but to be honest after a month of not riding it, combined with some really hot days here in the UK im not sure if it's getting hotter than usual.

On the rebuild I noticed my Oil Cooler had received some damage. and has developed a very small oil leek, nothing to bad, but it will need to be replaced :( ££££££ and they are rather expensive so I will probably get the Bonneville Performance cooler instead.

So does anybody know if removing the oil cooler, and incorrect fitting could cause the engine to get hotter than usual, or any other advice on possible hot engines would be welcome.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Is the oil circulating? check by feeling the cooler core and fins to see if it heats up, also, there should be a difference in temperature between the inlet and the oulet hoses.

I don't know the Triumph system at all but, does it have a thermostatic valve?. Some oil coolers have one to avoid over-cooling the oil in very cold weather. If it did have then it could be stuck in the closed position stopping oil flow.

Mind you, very hot weather makes a great difference to how hot the engine feels. My XV1100 threatens to ignite my trousers during prolonged slow town work.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts