Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used 2014 Cmdr 5000+ miles shipped by trailer from Houston to Utah Friday. Short test ride Friday. Today 1st real ride & engine management light came on as soon as I drove off. Drove home after @ 35 miles. Went to Forum to seek info. Past threads say it could be simply loose connector under tank - OK I'll check for that. Other thread that any changes to bike or it's environment could trigger light and system would take @50 miles to correct itself. So question is: Bike went from near sea level to my house at exactly 6000' - would that trigger eng light? Do I need to drive it a full 50 miles to correct it or are miles kinda cumulative. Cut ride short 'cause I was worried about light and maybe shouldn't keep driving if there is serious problem. But nearest dealer 200 miles away. Hoping it's just the elev/atmospheric pressure. Capt Rick

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Used 2014 Cmdr 5000+ miles shipped by trailer from Houston to Utah Friday. Short test ride Friday. Today 1st real ride & engine management light came on as soon as I drove off. Drove home after @ 35 miles. Went to Forum to seek info. Past threads say it could be simply loose connector under tank - OK I'll check for that. Other thread that any changes to bike or it's environment could trigger light and system would take @50 miles to correct itself. So question is: Bike went from near sea level to my house at exactly 6000' - would that trigger eng light? Do I need to drive it a full 50 miles to correct it or are miles kinda cumulative. Cut ride short 'cause I was worried about light and maybe shouldn't keep driving if there is serious problem. But nearest dealer 200 miles away. Hoping it's just the elev/atmospheric pressure. Capt Rick

I'd put my $ on lose MAP tubes under the tank. Make sure they're secure. Even a slight leak will cause issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd put my $ on lose MAP tubes under the tank. Make sure they're secure. Even a slight leak will cause issues.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Checked the MAP tubes after eng cooled - didn't appear to be loose. Should next move be just to ride the bike 50+ miles? Or do the 12 min idle routine & hope for re-set of tuning?Also there seems to be quite a bit of valve noise is that the nature of the beast? Capt. Rick

·
Registered
766 Posts
That's a big change in air pressure, I would do the 12 minute tune, couldn't hurt. Big difference between riding it to that altitude and trailering it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
engine management light came on as soon as I drove off. Drove home after @ 35 miles.
Other thread that any changes to bike or it's environment could trigger light and system would take @50 miles to correct itself.
Rick, the bike is not that delicate or fussy...I'm not sure what thread you read, but I'd suggest that poster is either wrong or had an experience that few others have. I've never heard of an elevation change triggering the engine management light (the bike is set up to check for changes and acclimate, hence the 12-minute tune capability...you're forcing it to do what it does otherwise automatically on the run); anecdotally, I've gone over a number of high-elevation (4000-ft.-plus) mountain passes with my TBird and it's never been triggered. In the five years I've had my TBird, I've also never heard of the 50-mile correction...if you have an engine light on and your own solutions haven't turned it off, I'd suggest taking it in rather than continuing to ride with it on. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rick, the bike is not that delicate or fussy...I'm not sure what thread you read, but I'd suggest that poster is either wrong or had an experience that few others have. I've never heard of an elevation change triggering the engine management light (the bike is set up to check for changes and acclimate, hence the 12-minute tune capability...you're forcing it to do what it does otherwise automatically on the run); anecdotally, I've gone over a number of high-elevation (4000-ft.-plus) mountain passes with my TBird and it's never been triggered. In the five years I've had my TBird, I've also never heard of the 50-mile correction...if you have an engine light on and your own solutions haven't turned it off, I'd suggest taking it in rather than continuing to ride with it on. Good luck.
Sat. I finally had the chance to ride more than a few miles - @ 70 - all above a mile of altitude. Engine mngmnt light stayed on. After a couple starts that same day it went out. If the bike had been driven up to 6000' it probably would have adjusted along the way, but having been started at high elevation after having last run near sea level, it didn't get that chance inside a trailer. To the poster above: 6000' is pretty high elevation- 4000' is not - the air is that much thinner. Professional sports teams concern themselves with acclimatization when they play at mile high Denver. The statistic I heard a long time ago, which is debatable, is that a naturally aspirated (carbureted) engine loses 6% of it's horsepower for every 1000' above 4000'. One reason I am exchanging my old America for a fuel injected T-Bird. Our normal Sunday rides take us to 2 passes, one at 9600', the other at 10,400' within 1/2 hour of my house. Also my almost brand new turbo-diesel pick-up stalled a couple times at stop signs the first time I drove to this town at 6000' until it acclimatized.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts