Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fitted enduro (on-road/off-road) tires to their T-100? I'm considering doing so since I live in an area that has both good gravel roads and long stretches of highway. However, I am concerned that the new tires will affect the acceleration/ top speed of the bike. There are a number of tires available that look effective such as the Metzlers, Avons, Dunlops, etc., that are "H" rated, yet I still worry about on-road performance. Any suggestions?

[ This message was edited by: Hilts on 2006-11-28 15:00 ]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I've read a couple of those threads, but I know from other posts that the Scrambler and the T-100 are quite different machines. The Scrambler seems to have more torque and off-road handling whereas the T-100 has more horse power and greater top speed. Those other posts deal with changing tires on the Scrambler whereas I'm talking about tires on the T-100, mainly regarding the possible hindrance to top-speed/ acceleration the off/on-road tires may provide. The Metzlers actually seem to have quite a bit of surface area so I'm hoping the performance differences between those and the stock tires will be negligible, but want to know if anyone has any direct experience.

[ This message was edited by: Hilts on 2006-11-28 15:35 ]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've seen those too and it's a toss up between those and the Metzlers. Both look very cool, but, like I said, I wonder if there's any performance issues since the T-100 is built more for speed than "scrambling."

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ha! That is true! I guess I just want a tire that will allow me to do 50mph on the gravel without sacrificing highway performance. Maybe that's asking too much, but those tires are rated to 130mph, so I guess they'd do the trick. Still, if anyone has already fitted these, I'd love to hear your opinion!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've fitted Pirelli Scorpion STs on my 790. They do ok on dirt roads and do fine at fast highway speeds. I just got back from 550+ mile weekend.
I rode on sandy, rocky, two track jeep trails and lots of interstate....no problems.
I believe Pirelli is now owned by Metzler. Just wanted to let you know of all your options.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yo Sweatmachine,
Howdy neighbor. I live northwest...native Austinite.
I do travel through that way on the way to my GF's house in Kyle.
I've been reading your posts...lots of good info.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I can recommend the stock Bridgestone tires that come on the new Scramblers, if you want to go that route. They are very good tires for the asphalt. But, you will pick up more front end vibration and sound from the tire thread of any dirt type dual purpose tire.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts