Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a fuel cell mounted in place of a saddle bag, and though there was metal around it, I became concerned with fire if I was in a long skidding sort of accident. And maybe my riding buddies will quit referring to me as the human torch.

I built an aluminum box with a bit of spare space for tools. The bottom has plenty of openings if I have an overfueling spill.

Haven't decided if I'm going to mount a proper box lid or a snap on fabric cover. Probably a lid so I can bunji stuff on top.

The box is about 10/11/16 inches and holds the 8/8/12" JAZ fuel cell \ 2.7 us gallons.

Not a big investment; cell was about 105, used fuel pump 35, aluminum 20-30, and of course my own labor.

Lots of info to be learned at the site below and at Summit Racing under fuel cells.
http://www.justgastanks.com/store/

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you coming to the Classic Triple Rally?

I'd love to take a look at this setup!
I'm planning on attending. As much as I've done to my triumph, you should see the stuff guzzi riders do to their (our) bikes. :FunnyFace:

But my 79 guzzi does not compare to the triumph for handling and umph. Forgivable given the difference in years. Both are keepers. The goose has about 140,000 and could use some loving attention. I bought it new but I have not been sufficiently pristine in my maintenance.

What they both have is character.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That is a very neat set up! I am interested in finding out how and where you pump the fuel to, and yet prevent the OEM fuel tank from over flowing. What kind of pump do you use? Low pressure (3-6 PSI)? Do you manually switch over to the aux. tank when your fuel runs low, or is the aux. tank "on" all the time?
Thanks!
Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a very neat set up! I am interested in finding out how and where you pump the fuel to, and yet prevent the OEM fuel tank from over flowing. What kind of pump do you use? Low pressure (3-6 PSI)? Do you manually switch over to the aux. tank when your fuel runs low, or is the aux. tank "on" all the time?
Thanks!
Greg
I mounted a fuel pump from a carburated motorcycle just to the side of the fuel cell. The line runs to a T installed between the tank and carb. The fuel pump acts as a one way valve preventing the stock tank from overflowing the fuel cell; the pump is turned on from a lighted switch on my dash.

Starting with a full tank and a full fuel cell, I run on the main tank until about 110 miles. While still under way, I turn on the pump while leaving the tank switched to on allowing gas to be pumped both to the carb and transfer into the tank. AFter about 20 minutes or 20 miles, I turn the pump off. I know the fuel cell holds about 2.65 US gallons and that I get less than 40 mpg. At 110 miles on the main tank, even if I were to stay parked and pump all the gas from the cell to the tank, it wouldn't overfill. If traveling and know I'll have easy access to a gas station, I keep running until the tank goes on reserve, then look for a station. My usual habit is to fill up at about 150 miles and when traveling, at about 200 miles.

If I accidently leave the fuel pump switched to on after filling both tanks, I'll be pumping fuel out through the gas tank overflow just under the tank cap. Since I never seem to miss a chance to make a mistake, I've done this a time or two and notice at a stop because of that fuelish odor about me.

The inverted lighter fuel tank under the rack goes to the fuel cell overflow. Air or gas vents into the little tank which has a pinhole at the top. If you look at the Iron Butt rules, auxilary tanks must vent in some fashion so that fuel does not overflow onto the exhaust in the sun or on its side. The Iron Butt rally started/ended in saint louis several years ago and inspired me to do my own.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/auxfuel.cfm

[url=http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbums/showphoto.php/photo/9470][/URL]

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Toller,

You certainly have had a good project going there. I have seen similar solutions fitted to Enduro style bikes (fyi, I have a Tenere), and yours is certainly well thought out. Well done.

I wondered if you had thought about any other solutions before? The reason I ask is that I have wondered about whether a tank from a T300 Trident/Sprint/Trophy/Daytona/Speed Triple could be made to work (for touring). Did you consider this, and perhaps saw problems?

I think your cell gives you close to 10 litres of extra fuel, and the Sprint's tank has 10 litres more capacity at 25 litres, compared to the Legend/Thunderbird's 15 litres? Just a thought, and one that I have been thinking about but never tried. (I guess a modified seat would be needed..........).

I am interested in knowing more about your rationale....

Best regards
Geoff

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Geoff, of course you are right, a bigger tank is the easiest and best solution if the aesthetics of the replacing take is acceptable. But this time around it didn't even occur to me. Years ago I had an XT500 and SR500 (older siblings of your Tenere) and was able to buy an oversized enduro tank for it; beautiful in its function.

I did look at metal gas tanks that people had cut into three pieces the long way and added 2" to each side of the tank. And Ambassador and Eldorado guzzi tanks lengthened to fit on modern Guzzis for that retro look. Both methods increased capacity to 7+ gallons. I don't have the cash to pay someone else to do a project like that and don't know if I'm a good enough welder to do it myself.

Has anyone tried setting other tanks down on the Legend? I have an extra SP100 tank I could try but I just broke my ankle and won't be in the garage for more than a month. Though I do like the looks of the Guzzi tank, the stock legend tank so cries Triumph.

I looked at the purpose built tanks that sit on the seat or rear rack. They were all expensive and that place on the seat and rack is where I pile most of my gear when traveling. Giving up the right side saddle bag space was less of a loss for me and put the fuel in the second best place for handling (the best is in the tank).

What you see is my third incantation of this project; each one working better and safer. Were I to this again, I would use the 3 gallon cell below that is already metal clad and can be purchased for $126.00 http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI-1032C&N=700+115&autoview=sku

If I wanted a cell for use only on trips, I would have mounted this tank on my seat and used gravity feed to the fuel lines.

·
Registered
363 Posts
RE: Replacing the stock tank with a larger one to gain 10L.

My Legend is already top-heavy as hell with a full tank. I wonder how it would handle at slow speeds with even more weight that high up....

Toller: Awesome mod!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts