Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to replace my fuel filter and want to know if there is an easy way to empty the tank without resorting to syphoning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've used a little hand operated fuel pump to get old gas out of my car. Pretty simple - just stick a hose in and squeeze to pull out the gasoline. It cost less than $10 and you don't get gas in your mouth :)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Without a doubt the best siphon I have ever used. The Safety Siphon, click on the Amazon link below.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siphon-Self-Priming-Pump/dp/B0057YHZJ8[/ame]

I use this to transfer fuel and also pull the fuel out of my sled at the end of the year. You stick the metal end in the tank, shake it up and down and it will start pulling the fuel. It basically pulls every drop out! It is incredible.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks too good to be true.
I've ordered one....

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
Siphoning is very simple if done right (I gotta make a video of it someday).
The way I do it, you never get fuel in the mouth or spill a drop on the floor.
Very clean and easy.
I have an 8 foot long clear plastic hose, put one end into the tank, coil some on the floor and stand holding the other end higher than your tank.
You are nice and comfortable, your standing beside the bike, everything is good.
If you like, blow into the tube a bit to push any fumes that got into the hose, then suck a bit until the fuel comes up out of the tank and down towards the coil on the floor.
You can stop sucking now as gravity will take over and fuel will continue around the coil and back up the part that you are holding in your hand and it will stop at the same level as the tank.
So now you have no fuel in your mouth and none on the floor.
You lift your gas container up higher than the tank, put the end that you are holding into the container, then simply lower the container to the floor.
Once the canister is below the level of the tank, fuel will continue flowing up the hose and into the container by gravity.
To stop the flow, simply lift the container higher than the tank and it will stop, naturally.
Then if you need to fill another container, now is the time to do it, all without spilling a drop or getting the taste of fuel in your mouth.
It sounds longer when you type it, I should get a video of it someday.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good description.
I've bought a Jiggle Syphon but if that fails I'll try your technique.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
All this talk of jiggling and sucking on hoses.... What have I stumbled into here??

·
Registered
428 Posts
I used to use the siphon with the bulb, but the tube is so small it takes forever to drain a tank, and the tubing is so stiff that even taping an extension to the end it was still difficult to keep the drawing end straight and position where I needed it .

With the "jiggle" siphon the metal end is on the draw end and the tubing is flexible so it is easy place, and it moves a lot of fuel quickly. I keep one in my truck at all times. I was very skeptical when I got it, but after using it, I bought a second one to keep in my snowmachine pack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts