Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm back again!

Actually, never really left.

I had lost the key to the bike that SDFour was helpful enough to give me. Something about being drunk....don't really remember. That, and with all the going from different shops and dealers with the key in hand, I lost it along the way, I'm sure.

Thus far I've discovered a new favorite color: ULTRA FLAT BLACK. I sanded and painted the lower ends of a set of forks I bought and painted them that color. I also got a finishing cover for the back of the instrument cluster. Thank you to the board member that pointed out the component from a Speed Triple. It works perfect!

Anyway, I got a used lower ignition half, but when I turn the key nothing is lighting up. It's as though the contacts are not being made. :???:

Is there more to the ignition or an intermediary piece; something that I've overlooked with this?

Everything seems to match up just great, but nothing. I've still got the broken lower half and can send power through by jumping wires, but not with the other piece.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We've got snow again over here and less weather to be able to work in. I've given up some good riding days to do some work on the bike and give it another look.

Also, for the airbox....could any battery strap work for it? Is there a specific length that I would need?

-Deep

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, rs!

I clicked the kill switch a couple of times, to no result. Even when I turn the key, it doesn't offer any sort of resistance or "click"...if that makes sense. It seems that it just spins, as though it's not connected to anything.

I contacted Zadi via email, but haven't gotten a response back. I may have to order a new ignition ($$$), but am trying to see what I can do with what I have first :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
doc - i believe that lower ignition that i sold you was either from a big daytona or from a sprint. i never actually tested it as i only needed the upper portion. i can't see any reason why the lower portion wouldn't work. i'm wondering if the pinout is different between the lower i sent you and the S4. have a look at the wiring and see if the colors match up. if not, that's probably the culprit. if the wiring colors do match up, i would then dig out the multimeter and check continuity between the broken, but good switch and the one i sent you. hth - jeff h

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Jeff!

That's what my friend and I were thinking as well. As of now, i've just ordered a new ignition. I'm hoping to just be able to take apart the new one, to use the lower half, as I just got another set of keys from Triumph and don't feel like spending more money on another set! :-D

Hope everything is good! I'm pretty much done with the bike, now I just need to start it :-D

·
Registered
172 Posts
yikes! sorry about the problems you are having. let me know if there is anything i can do to help you out. i feel pretty bad that you had to order another ignition.

jeff h

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No worries, Jeff :-D It's all just a matter of course and no harm done, honestly. Only way to find out was to try!

Everything will work out....I've got the hammer in my hand to make sure of it! LOL!

Will let all know how it turns out! I'll try to post some pics of the ignition components during disassembly as well, in case people are looking for images.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all!

Just got my new ignition and such from bikebandit (ordered from Triumph) and it came with two keys!!!!!!!

Score.

Now, I had a Zadi ignition and this is a Minda ignition. Wish me luck.

:-D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SONUVA.................

<takes breath>

So, the new ignition doesn't do anything but turn on my rear brake light. ***?

I ended up jumping the wires again at the harness and got the bike started.....but, when I put it into gear, it stalls out.

With the wires jumped, I can power the dash, start the bike, but no horn, lights, turn signals, etc.

What am I missing here, guys and what could be up with the NEW ignition?

[ This message was edited by: doc_rage on 2007-03-27 23:29 ]

·
Registered
907 Posts
that sucks! you should just donate her to me :-D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Deep, that pic makes her look whole again....she wants to start, I know she does....she just has a few minor brain mis circuits...

...you'll figure it out, I have faith in you!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FuryFour....you makin' eyes at my woman? (squints eyes) :-D

SDFour, you're right. Just need to sit and think about it for a bit. With all the safety features built into these bikes, it probably it just registering that nothing else is powering up....so I'd like to think.

Something I asked one of my friends:

"Ever hear a Triumph rev to 10K rpm? I have." :razz: :-D

[ This message was edited by: doc_rage on 2007-03-28 09:12 ]

·
Registered
907 Posts
On 2007-03-28 09:11, doc_rage wrote:
FuryFour....you makin' eyes at my woman? (squints eyes) :-D

SDFour, you're right. Just need to sit and think about it for a bit. With all the safety features built into these bikes, it probably it just registering that nothing else is powering up....so I'd like to think.

Something I asked one of my friends:

"Ever hear a Triumph rev to 10K rpm? I have." :razz: :-D

yes

·
Registered
851 Posts
The easiest thing might be to jumper the various switches that let the engine be started - clutch, neutral and kickstand (am I missing any?). If that works, you can figure out which one is giving trouble.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quick skinny on what I had to do:

-Ignition actually did power up the dash, horn, brake lights and allowed me to start it.

-Putting it in gear stalled the bike, so I grounded the neutral sensor, causing the neutral light to stay on, so I could ride it.

-Installed some mirrors from my '75 CB125 for the time being, so I can get it through inspections and also so I could ride it around somewhat safely

-Rode the bike with a really stupid smile underneath my full-face helmet.

I finished grinding the Buell XB footpegs I had bought and installed them on the bike. They work well, but the rear brake lever is awkward to reach at now. I will have to think of something for that. I really need the 1" drop that the pegs offer, so those are staying. Plus, only $15 vs. the $60+ that Triumph wants for just ONE peg. Yikes!

The bike is agile and very light! Lots of power too! Of course, I'm used to the Harley torque, but the Triumph is so smooth!

Have a bit more work to do to get it inspected (such as the headlights are still not turning on as they should and the turn signals....not to mention the pesky stalling in gear unless the neutral light is on), but I am happy. Just have to figure out the other items. It may just come down to relays being bad, but I want to make sure before I start spending money on those.

Alright all, back to working on it.

[ This message was edited by: doc_rage on 2007-03-29 18:25 ]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts