Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Months ago I bought a set of Emgo pistons and put them away..since I had tons of work to do before I would need them. Now I see some old posts re. pistons and rings...and i started to think..
1. pistons look symetrical to me..ie..no front or back..correct?
2. the rings do not have a " top " engraved on them....so I assume
they are not tapered and go in any orientation. Correct?
3. Many posts say Emgo rings are junk( opinions ? )....if i want to upgrade...how do I make sure i buy rings that are compatible with these pistons?
4 Had cylinders bored for .20 pistons...now have .0045 clearance...but end gap on Emgo rings measures about .021 to .022 on both compression and oil rings. Is this too much end gap for a non racing street engine?

Am about to take a break from this project for the summer...but I want to make sure I don't forget any important open issues for when I start working on it again. THANKS

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I had a supplier tell me the Emgo pistons work well but the rings were junk. He sold me a set of Japanese "Riken" rings to go with the Emgo pistons. The ring gap is more than what is recommended but I have a set of .080" over MAP pistons and rings in my Bitsa that came with .023 gap. It runs fine and doesn't smoke. I think the recommended numbers may be minimum clearance so when things expand from heat they don't bind up in the bore.

·
Registered
455 Posts
End gap is fine, it is not too big a deal unless they are too tight.

I have had no problems with the JCC rings, but I have seen a few posts recommending other rings.
Oddly I have not read about any bad first hand experiences with them.
I would like to know if anyone else has tried them and what kind of luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am completely re-building a 71 TR6C. I got everything together and started working on the cylinder. My Emgo pistons seem to be good quality and well made. I was installing the rings and one of them broke. I had nothing to lose so I snapped another piece. The rings were so brittle they broke into pieces with very little effort. I have now ordered a set of Hastings "Made in the USA"rings. I would say go with the Emgo pistons but use a high quality set of rings.

D.J.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts