Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone running them? are they loud
obnoxious
preposterous
or silly loud
hows the overall tone?
G

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I saw and heard a set at the dealer a couple of weeks ago on a bike in for service. The bike bike had not been rejetted, but it ran (idle) ok. Sound was very nice. A little deeper than TOR's and cool retro look. No where near as loud as D&D's. Chrome looked a little wavy.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, I was hoping for loud but not obnoxious, and these may foot the bill
G

·
Registered
39 Posts
I love mine.
I cored the stock exhaust, removed the airbox, rejetted, removed AI,and added pod filters to the carbs. It was still not sounding the way I wanted it too.

They are loud but sound is subjective, I feel. They have no baffles. None of my neighbors has complained...yet.
I don't do burnouts in the garage and have been known to coast it (motor off, lights on) out of my neighborhood... just in case.

Not nearly as loud as all the big twins I hear every day on the highway.
I like the sound. You can ride it quietly if you want by short shifting.

I do wear earplugs and can still hear plenty of motor music to know when to shift on my 790 Black.

Check the sound on NewBonneville's site.
http://www.newbonneville.com/sprint.mp3

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good. I am still using the airbox, so it may be a tad more subdued that way
G

·
Registered
902 Posts
I put the EMGO's on my Bonnie black and really liked them, they were a little loud, someone posted a while back that they were a 7 on the 10 scale which is probably right.

These mufflers have been around for a long time as replacements for the late sixties Meriden twins and I found that the chrome was just as good or better that the stock Triumph mufflers. The one post said that the chrome was wavy and I have seen this on some british made burgess mufflers and picked the taiwan made EMGO's for just that reason.

Here is something to consider; the EMGO's can be bought for around $80.00 a piece from a vintage Triumph dealer and they will bolt on using the adaptor pipes and clamps from Newbonnieville or Belacourse, they will actually bolt on to your stock muffler mounting plate with two new fine thread bolts, so can be pretty cheap to install.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice. I was wondering about mounting plates, I'll use my stock ones. I got a nice deal on never installed mufflers with all hardware and adapters, so I feel pretty good about it (thanks Jim)
G

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They sound pretty good, imho. Did you use any in line baffles, or just the strait thru peashooters on that clip?
G

·
Registered
229 Posts
Keep us updated Geoff. I have on TORs and find them too quiet. I'm considering Togas 'cause I love the look of the peashooters. Let us know if they compare to the togas.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am using TORs also. As you say, nice but a little too quiet.
I am not likely to have the Emgos installed till next summer, but I will comment once I hear them
G

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone successfully drilled a hole in these pipes to install removable baffles? I want to install 4" long x 1 1/2" diameter baffles at the tail section of the exhaust.

Can anyone comment about the the ease of this task?

How do you find the quality between the baffled and non-baffled sound?

Is there any cracking or rust from drilling ths hole?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
brownbomber...have you considered putting the baffles in the header pipe in front of the adaptor rather than drilling the ends of the pipes?
That's where I installed mine which takes about 10 minutes per side. Easy to install and remove, just a couple of bolts and clamps. The header pipe to adaptor clamp keeps the baffles in place (no drilling required and I used the cheapy 1 1/2" diameter JC Whitney baffles part number ZX013522R at $3.99 each...you won't need the bolts and nuts that come with them).
I've had problems in the past with drilling chromed pipes and rust setting in.

Shorty

[ This message was edited by: Shorty on 2006-12-29 06:52 ]

·
Registered
92 Posts
On 2006-12-29 05:49, Shorty wrote:
brownbomber...have you considered putting the baffles in the header pipe in front of the adaptor rather than drilling the ends of the pipes?
That's where I installed mine which takes about 10 minutes per side. Easy to install and remove, just a couple of bolts and clamps. The header pipe to adaptor clamp keeps the baffles in place (no drilling required and I used the cheapy 1 1/2" diameter JC Whitney baffles part number ZX013522R at $3.99 each...you won't need the bolts and nuts that come with them).
I've had problems in the past with drilling chromed pipes and rust setting in.

Shorty
Thanks Shorty

As usual you come through with just the right info i'm looking for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts