Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I've lurked these forums for prolly a year now. Well I decided to get ballsy and buy some mufflers to install myself. I chose the EMGO 17" reverse cones and I purchased the bellacorse adaptors and clamps. Now for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get them on. I'm not super mechanically savvy but i do know my way around tools. Any help would be great. thx

heres a piece break down(hopefully im not missing something):

2- 17" reverse cone mufflers
2- bellacorse adaptors
4- bellacorse clamps
2 sets- spacers that came with the mufflers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have basically figured out everything except for getting the adaptor and muffler to go together. That is really what i need the help with. Ive tried all different combinations with the spacers or reducers whichever you prefer them called. still nothin..

·
Registered
510 Posts
I've never installed those with the adaptors, but I do know that if you were able to take some pics, it might help those of us that haven't done the installation with some idea of what you mean.
If you can, post some pics of the parts and maybe held up to the bike.
I'm sure someone could help you then, even if they hadn't done that specific install...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

bellacorse adaptor w/clamp attached, 3 different size reducers, emgo muffler

close up of reducers

adaptor on pipe

reducer on the adaptor ( the only one that fit right, all other where loose on the adaptor)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

adaptor w/ reducer loose in muffler

muffler bolted to frame

everyhting basically together, connection of adaptor and muffler loose as hell

same

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'd try putting another adaptor outside the first one...

And when you figure it all out, you may need to use hi-temp permatex or something to keep from leaking in the joints.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I put one on a it was nice and tight..no issues...put the other one on and had to refit it 4 times (just taking it off and on) until it was tight. I remember using all the spacers and clamping down very hard to get them tight. I also used some crap they sold me at the auto parts store to prevent leaks. So far no problems... but i did buy $10 worth of packing to quiet them down a little and it was very easy to do.

·
Registered
9 Posts
emgo muffler instl.

My pipes were 1.5, the emgo pipes 1.75. I had to put 2 spacers together, I think is was the small one inside the largest one. It was tight enough so that the clamp would do the rest. they did leak a bit. I think it is very hard when using reducers to get them tight enough. The sound made it worthwhile. I hope this helps. Goodluck Mark.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Great pictures.
I agree - try using two spacers and a little permatex copper sealant to keep that all together. Be sure to tighten the clamps down quite a bit.
Looks good from what I've seen on other bikes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My pipes were 1.5, the emgo pipes 1.75. I had to put 2 spacers together, I think is was the small one inside the largest one. It was tight enough so that the clamp would do the rest. they did leak a bit. I think it is very hard when using reducers to get them tight enough. The sound made it worthwhile. I hope this helps. Goodluck Mark.
I tried that seemed to work a lot better, but the muffler still slips off.
I bought permatex copper sealant, I dont know where exactly it needs to be applied at. I was thinking where the adaptor attaches to the pipes, and where the mufflers attach to the adaptor. Should I put it on the reducers themselves? Like on each of them so they stay together?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ooo and Thank you to all that replied, I honestly greatly appreciate it. I was gettin pretty down yesterday not being able to figure it out, you guys seriously brightened my day. I figured Id be getting flamed all kinds. lol..

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'd put sealant on the adaptors too.

And now the hard part: Let the sealant set overnight before even thinking of starting the bike - or you'll just blow it out.

I got the same pipes, bought from specialtyspares, but got some other spacers, seemed to fit better than those you got. (But they still leaked some)

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
When the sealant hardens it can come off easily with a razor blade or wire brush.
Pulling the muffler off the adapter/spacer assembly will be tough though.

Mock everything up the way it fits best, then make alignment marks, disassemble, apply sealant to adapters and then each individual spacer, then to the muffler, install everything so the alignment marks match, tighten it all up, and let the sealant cure.

On my bike I used Toyota's F.I.P.G. gasket sealer. It hardens in five minutes and cures in 15 mins. Also I applied the sealer to the inside of the muffler inlet so there wasn't any excess goo sticking out.
For your bike, apply the sealer to the inside of the adapter inlet, the inside of each spacer, and the inside of the muffler.
No muss, no fuss!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright guys everything is on, sealed up, and bolted down as hard as I could. I did the biggest and smallest reducer combo. They are hanging out a little, but **** no ones gunna see it unless they're inspecting it. So now the waiting game till tomorrow when I get to fire the bad boy up. super excited. Once again I want to thank everyone that posted, you guys really helped me out. I'll try to be one of the group now, instead of lurking in the shadows.

Thx Guys

Adam

·
Registered
453 Posts
These things are definately a bitch to get on. I've taken off and reinstalled about 3 times now. Save yourself the same headache and buy the collars from Specialty Spares (they make them specifically for aftermarket mufflers). They camed shipped within 3 days for $18. The collars the Emgo supplies you with barely work, and even with sealant they move around, etc. Their email address is: s[email protected], just ask to order the collars. You'll thank me later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
These things are definately a bitch to get on. I've taken off and reinstalled about 3 times now. Save yourself the same headache and buy the collars from Specialty Spares (they make them specifically for aftermarket mufflers). They camed shipped within 3 days for $18. The collars the Emgo supplies you with barely work, and even with sealant they move around, etc. Their email address is: [email protected], just ask to order the collars. You'll thank me later.
Mine have been on the bike for 5 months and I may still buy the collars just to clean up the look and fit. Thanks Craigore

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The trick is to use the 2 larger reducer sleeves and push them all the way in so that they are as flush to the front edge of the muffler inlet as you can get them. There are little dimples in each sleeve to keep them from sliding too far into the muffler inlet. Orient the expansion gaps in the sleeves and muffler inlet so none of the gaps line-up. This, plus a liberal dose of hi-temp silicone in all of the gaps will help eliminate air leaks.

Next slide the smaller-end of the adaptor elbow into the muffler. Lastly slip the muffler w/adaptors onto the head pipe and twist the adaptor to get the 'angle of the dangle' just the way you want it. At this point, you can run the hanger strap up to the frame.

/Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sealed up good, some small air leaks but sounds flippin amazing. I feel like I actually have a motorcycle now, and not a half motorcycle half sewing machine.. lol.. sounds like it could be missing though. So a re-jet will be in the future.. If I put a higher octane gas in would it help?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts