Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is what im trying to produce in .020 or .040 gague steel.

It's a simple design that shouldn't cost me 384 dollars!

Can anyone suggest anything to reduce the cost or is anyone willing to produce this shape for me in their home mill?

My tolerances must be within the 100th's of an inch.

If you can produce this piece for me please let me know, I have the means to draw it but not machine it. :(

--Kory

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
That's crazy. I've played with their tool but never ordered anything through them. Maybe you should just call around to some local machine shops??

Your problem, of course, is "quantity 1".

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Laser cutters are everywhere and perhaps more economical. The tolerances might not quite be tight enough the that laser is pretty sharp!

·
Registered
117 Posts
A laser cutter can handle that easily. Find a local shop with a machine, give them the profile electronically and it's done.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
TTR, call around your neighbourhood. That is totally crazy for a price. You have already done the work so a waterjet of a lazer cutter would do the job.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Machining

Kory

I can do the job for you (no charge) just email me your drawing. I could get to it next week and then mail it to you. What material do you want it made of?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Within hundreths???? Of inches??? That could be done with a tin snips and a metal punch!. Within a couple of thousanths then maybe you would need a machine for it but nothing like that price. A person could scribe it carefully and cut it with snips... I'm serious. Especially if the steel is only .020 thick.

The drawing is missing the radius of the hole pattern though ...

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kory

I can do the job for you (no charge) just email me your drawing. I could get to it next week and then mail it to you. What material do you want it made of?
Wanted to publicly send a big thank you to Zulu for machining me this part, I don't have it yet but he sent me a photo that I'd like to share.

I sent him the autocad file and he used a Wire EDM machine to CNC machine it.

I'll post pics on where this support bracket goes once my Luggage Locker comes in.

--Kory

Attachments

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok part is on the bike finally!

My luggage locker tank bag came in today, so let me explain what this thing does.

http://www.luggagelocker.com/tank-locker.htm

Leslie's product is really great but over the years weight in the bag will cause the bolts to pull down into the plastic ring eventually pulling through it.

This piece spreads the weight over the metal strengthening the ring.

The bags zippers can even get locked closed:

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/38/l_ba69a203787b43618f3ef8c88a49a5db.jpg

Thanks for reading, and thank you for the piece Zulu!

--Kory

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Easy Kory,

It wasn't off topic. As a matter of fact it was showing off a system that is like yours but takes a lot less work and time to put on than the system you modified.

I don't think Aimu intended to take anything away from your project but to add to it.

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Thanks for totally crashing my thread bro...

I appreciate you posting something completely off topic.

Please remove your post and put it in a new thread titled appropriately.
Just settle there Red, who made you the thread sheriff around here all of a sudden?:rolleyes:

Stay calm, take a breath etc.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry, bit of my Scottish temper coming through.

The poster posted a different companies bags that is completely unrelated to this product or even my project.

I feel he's hijacking my thread...

Mods... you make the decision.

--Kory

·
Premium Member
24,235 Posts
Sorry, bit of my Scottish temper coming through.

The poster posted a different companies bags that is completely unrelated to this product or even my project.

I feel he's hijacking my thread...

Mods... you make the decision.

--Kory
No probs Kory,:)

I think it is over now.

cheers,
DaveM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts