Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my R3 classic 3 day's ago. VERY HAPPY! But I am having a intermitant problem getting into 1st. Stop at a light , slip into neutral then real effort getting into 1 st gear.

Is this newness or a dealer issue?

Many thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome.

Yes, the problem gets better with miles. No, it never goes away.

The transmission is very rough, crude, especially in 1st and 2nd gear, but it has to be tough to take the torque.

The way I have learned to ride it, is to pull in the clutch, push the shifter down and HOLD PRESSURE on it, while you let out on the clutch just a little to make sure it engages. Most of the time it will be in gear, but if not completely in gear, it will THUNK and go in gear, and all is good.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Agreed. Until you learn the bike you may get a false 1st gear or N. You'll find out soon enough how th tell the difference-but the 'clunk' is a dead giveaway.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ist Gear

When was the last time the oil was changed? All Triumph gear boxes get funky whenit's time for an oil change.
Frank Ferrante

·
Registered
186 Posts
Throw The Ball,,,He's Leading Off Of First

O/k, sorry about the title.

Anways, I usually let the clutch out just a tiny bit when going for first gear when at a standstill when first starting out or sitting at light or other stop. Can find the gear easiest that way. Just a tiny bit. That helps me a lot.

Enjoy !!!

Cheers !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts