Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

361 - 380 of 408 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #363
From what I can gather, the bush should be 1/2" long, yours looks a lot shorter than that - you do wonder!
Thanks M!ck

Still waiting for the new parts to arrive so I can get the bike back on the road. Next time I tackle a specific area of the bike I'm going to order all the gaskets, bushings etc straight off the bat

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
I'm back in business!

New parts are on the top piece of cardboard

And few questions :
The layshaft/kickstart thrust washer is positioned with the grooves facing towards the inside of the box?

The new kickstart pawl isnt grooved like the old one so I only replaced the spring and plunger. Is this OK?

I should really have ordered a new mainshaft bushing. On the to do list for later.

How do I lubricate everything before refitting?

I stupidly didn't take a photo of the mainshaft after I got the nut off. Should I drift it through a bit more?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Eli,
That new first gear pinion bush is so much longer than the old one! Should be a whole lot better fit on the shaft. Regarding the main shaft in the picture, I must admit to not having done this myself yet, but from what I have seen of the procedure in the manual (see Fig D7) you have to assemble the cluster of gears and both the shafts on the inner cover then feed the assembly into the box together. So basically you may have trouble if the main shaft is already pushed home before fitting the rest.

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
Hi Eli,
That new first gear pinion bush is so much longer than the old one! Should be a whole lot better fit on the shaft. Regarding the main shaft in the picture, I must admit to not having done this myself yet, but from what I have seen of the procedure in the manual (see Fig D7) you have to assemble the cluster of gears and both the shafts on the inner cover then feed the assembly into the box together. So basically you may have trouble if the main shaft is already pushed home before fitting the rest.
Hi Brian

Thanks, I got it all assembled OK but I'm not sure if I've pressed the mainshaft in enough

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks, I got it all assembled OK but I'm not sure if I've pressed the mainshaft in enough
Looks as though there's enough thread for the special nut and tab washer. It should pull up tight once the nut is torqued correctly: the distance piece won't let it come any further.

Reactions: Wolfmanhawaii

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #368 (Edited)
Looks as though there's enough thread for the special nut and tab washer. It should pull up tight once the nut is torqued correctly: the distance piece won't let it come any further.
Thanks Brian

Should I put a bit of grease inside the bronze bushes or will this clog up the oil ways inside them?

The box is ready for reassembly here

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Eli, I use grease when reassembling a gearbox and never had a lube problem that I know of.
That mainshaft stickout looks about right IIRC. The nut and tab washer are thinner than usual.

All looks OK from what I can see. Assemble it dry and see if you get some sort of gear changes OK - may not be perfect as the box likes to be driven, but you should get an idea if it's going to work.

If it seems to change OK, assemble it and add EP90, or whatever Stuart suggests.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Hi Eli, I use grease when reassembling a gearbox and never had a lube problem that I know of.
That mainshaft stickout looks about right IIRC. The nut and tab washer are thinner than usual.

All looks OK from what I can see. Assemble it dry and see if you get some sort of gear changes OK - may not be perfect as the box likes to be driven, but you should get an idea if it's going to work.

If it seems to change OK, assemble it and add EP90, or whatever Stuart suggests.
Thanks Andy

I'll grease the bushings when I take it all apart again this weekend as I forgot the distance piece from the mainshaft 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Hi Eli,

Rather than risking contaminating expensive synthetic gearbox oil with dead dino juice, put some of the gearbox oil in the bushes? ;)

Hth,

Regards,
Thanks Stuart

I've started the reassembly and used ep90 as that's all I have in the shed right now.

Gear selector and kickstart both work (the cover has to come off again to torque up the mainshaft nut), the chain is back on and I've fitted a new sprocket oil seal (the old one was a nightmare to remove).

I'm still waiting for my new clutch cush rubbers to arrive but I'm feeling more confident than a few days ago.

Nursery school is closed for 3 weeks now so I'm going to have to be very efficient with whatever free time I can haggle!

Thanks to all for the remote assistance and moral support! I feel like I've almost made it to the top of everest. The summit is in sight!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Hi Eli,

Did you remember to re-seal the gearbox sprocket splines with silicon sealant when you installed the sprocket? Gearbox oil can leak along the splines. If you look at the pics in your posts 290 & 299 I think there are remnants of sealant where the PO has done it.

Chris

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #377
Hi Eli,

Did you remember to re-seal the gearbox sprocket splines with silicon sealant when you installed the sprocket? Gearbox oil can leak along the splines. If you look at the pics in your posts 290 & 299 I think there are remnants of sealant where the PO has done it.

Chris
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reminder. Of course I got carried away and forgot to add sealant. There's a healthy supply of grease, hopefully that will do it.

:(

E

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #380
You've made several good decisions along the way with this bike Eli, this is another instance.

Chris
Thanks Chris

Fingers crossed all the hard work and skinned knuckles pay off

All torqued up! The outer gearbox cover is back on now and the gears seem to select OK.

I'll refit the clutch plates tomorrow evening and if all goes well the bike should be running by Thursday or Friday once clutch, primary and rear chains and rear wheel alignment are adjusted.

Nearly there!

361 - 380 of 408 Posts