Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '73 750 with a points ignition. the oil pump went south on me, so i have everything apart. while i'm in there and messing up the timing, i was wondering if i should upgrade to an electronic ignition.

my points seem to work fine. so i was wondering if it's an upgrade that's worth the $150?

your thoughts.

i currently don't run a battery. would i need to with electronic?

·
Registered
625 Posts
i was wondering if i should upgrade to an electronic ignition.

my points seem to work fine. so i was wondering if it's an upgrade that's worth the $150?

your thoughts.

i currently don't run a battery. would i need to with electronic?
You will certainly get opposing answers here, but here's how I feel about it. Points work. They have no choice. There's no 'brain' box built from parts made by low-bidders in some third world country. There's nothing that is going to die from being attached to a paint-shaker. (seems most vintage Triumphs live up to this comparison)

Remember, also that if you have an issue currently (a point goes bad which doesn't happen or you lose a coil or something) you can still get it home running on one cylinder. With the electronic, when something goes wrong, it probably kills the entire thing.

I just feel it isn't worth $150 (or more) to remove something that is absolutely solidly reliable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will certainly get opposing answers here, but here's how I feel about it. Points work. They have no choice. There's no 'brain' box built from parts made by low-bidders in some third world country. There's nothing that is going to die from being attached to a paint-shaker. (seems most vintage Triumphs live up to this comparison)

Remember, also that if you have an issue currently (a point goes bad which doesn't happen or you lose a coil or something) you can still get it home running on one cylinder. With the electronic, when something goes wrong, it probably kills the entire thing.

I just feel it isn't worth $150 (or more) to remove something that is absolutely solidly reliable.
that's what keith moore (local triumph genius) said also. i just wanted a few of your opinions. i bought a single points coil to get rid of my old ones. maybe i'll just reconnect my points, run the single coil and call it a day.

·
Registered
970 Posts
that's what keith moore (local triumph genius) said also. i just wanted a few of your opinions. i bought a single points coil to get rid of my old ones. maybe i'll just reconnect my points, run the single coil and call it a day.
I am curious, what do you mean, "single points coil"?

·
Registered
348 Posts
yes change it now!!! sparx is very good with 6v coils.

points are a thing of the past!! if they where so great they would still be using them right? don't be afraid of change!!

worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!! matter of fact the bike runs stronger,burns less fuel, and yes makes more power at higher rpm's.

·
Registered
348 Posts
well i didn't see about no battery. well that makes your choice slim
points or about $700 joe hunt. in that case i would stick with the point setup.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I Don't Think SO

I have one of each now and have had quite a few with the old timy set up. The Boyer fumbled twice. Both known documented problems with connections. It did not leave me stranded, only made loud explosions in the exhaust. From a get me home perspective, I like points. From an advance curve perspective, I like points. For that bonding experience with your machine, I like points. For a low battery condition, I like points. For money in my pocket, I like points.
I guess I really like points.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am curious, what do you mean, "single points coil"?
i meant to say i bought a single, points coil. as in one coil, with two leads, meant for a points ignition.

as an update. the bike shut down on me on the freeway. the right cylinder was pumping smoke. i think the auto advance on my points may have gotten stuck. there is now a huge hole on top of the right piston. not radical.

perhaps i should go for an electronic ignition. after i rebuild the top end...

not a happy guy right now.

·
Registered
625 Posts
that's what keith moore (local triumph genius) said also.
Keith is who I buy the vast majority of my parts from. In fact, I can get stuff delivered to me in VA (DC area) from Keith in CA quicker than I can from anyone on the east coast. I have called Keith just to pick his brain when having a stumper of a problem. He seems to know just about everything and is an honest, reliable businessman. I wish more businesses were run like Moore's.

as an update. the bike shut down on me on the freeway. the right cylinder was pumping smoke. i think the auto advance on my points may have gotten stuck. there is now a huge hole on top of the right piston. not radical.
Now THAT just plain sucks! I feel yer pain, brother ... If you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd offer to come get dirty working on it with you. I'm there in spirit ... :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've used the same Boyer Mk III for 15 trouble and maintenance free years . All I do is clean spark plugs. I have purchased the next generation of Boyer (Micro Power Digital) and hope to add some performance. I considered the Sparks but stuck with what I know to be reliable.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
666 - According to almost everyone, NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH POINTS. The hole in your piston must be because your bike thought it had an electronic ignition.
yeah. i'm bummed on my bike. it was like a horrible NASA shuttle launch, "Initiate piston burn sequence in 5...4...3...2...1. Piston burn complete. Deploy smoke screen... Commence shutting down of engine... Stand by for Triumph recovery vehicle."

i am now falling in the category of recommending electronic ignitions for everyone. they should rain from the sky like foreign aide to Triumph owners because there was no warning that my bike was going to grenade.

Keith is who I buy the vast majority of my parts from. In fact, I can get stuff delivered to me in VA (DC area) from Keith in CA quicker than I can from anyone on the east coast. I have called Keith just to pick his brain when having a stumper of a problem. He seems to know just about everything and is an honest, reliable businessman. I wish more businesses were run like Moore's.

Now THAT just plain sucks! I feel yer pain, brother ... If you weren't 3000 miles away, I'd offer to come get dirty working on it with you. I'm there in spirit ... :)
Keith is awesome. it's cool sitting in his shop for an hour or more talking Triumphs while he smokes his unfiltered Lucky strikes. his shop has become a mecca for a lot of people. and he is such a great shop owner. he doesn't even try to sell his stuff. like how i asked about running one coil... he told me i could get an oil harley points coil and gave me some other options. not wanting to mention that he had a box full of Emgo coils waiting to be sold.

·
Registered
625 Posts
well ... if you decide you don't want to go electronic, I just saw this:
ebay auction that includes an advance unit. They can be costly, but I see them in these 'parts lots' all the time.

I'd love to make my way out there sometime and meet Keith. He's been so great for a year and a half of buying from him. You wouldn't know this being that you walk in and buy stuff, but when you receive an order from him through the mail, his packing is far and away the best. It's like art when you open the package. Everything is labeled and wrapped and bagged ... gaskets are either rolled around a tube or packed between pieces of cardboard. I order from him over driving to my local guys.

EDIT:
that acution has a points plate and an advance unit in it ... both of which typically sell for more than that Buy It Now.

·
Registered
348 Posts
poeple are afraid of what they don't know!!!

if points where so great why don't we use them today?

the same people belive carbs are much better than fuel injection!
bias ply are better than radial!
two hands on the wheel are better than air bag!!

you need to get past old man talk and move into the 21 century

the main reason electronic ing fails is the idiot hooking it up doesn't know what there doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how many times has your car quit running? maybe a coil went bad after 150,000 mile!!!

points=== the past

·
Registered
625 Posts
poeple are afraid of what they don't know!!!

if points where so great why don't we use them today?

the same people belive carbs are much better than fuel injection!
bias ply are better than radial!
two hands on the wheel are better than air bag!!

you need to get past old man talk and move into the 21 century

the main reason electronic ing fails is the idiot hooking it up doesn't know what there doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how many times has your car quit running? maybe a coil went bad after 150,000 mile!!!

points=== the past
First of all, just let me say I am not afraid, nor do I 'not know' ... I am well acquainted with electronic ignition and electronics in general. In fact, I was employed as an electrnoics technician for quite some time ... and I'm not talking about transistor radios, here.

UGH ... modern stuff works on modern machines. The OLD Boyers that were built well and made to last were fine. The new stuff is tiny fragile components that simply don't put up with the vibration of an OLD MACHINE without rubber mounting and fuel injection. Additionally, it's important to realize that when the Boyer goes, it defaults to full advance and you get what happened with the stuck advance unit ... with more spark ... If the points are good, set right and the advance unit has good springs and is well lubricated, the points will NEVER be the problem ...

I've said it about Mikuni 'upgrades' a million times. You could modify your vintage Triumph frame to accept a Honda motor ... but you wouldn't, would you? Seriously ... if you're going to build a performance bike with all the OTHER stuff, then go with the electronic to help squeeze the HP out of it. For a mild or stock rider, points is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I have always been for the points.

I don't ride the vintage bike enough to keep the battery in top condition, and it will run with a flat battery with he points system. I seem to recall that electronic systems need a fully charged battery.

·
Registered
220 Posts
My bonnie had a Boyer on it when I bought it and I haven't had any problems so far. I ran Triumphs for many years and miles with the points system in place and also never had any problems. From my experience neither one has clearcut advantages in either starting or in day-to-day operation. The electronic ignition is pretty much maintenance-free, but if it quits you're stranded. With points you have to adjust and lube them regularly but they are easy to repair should something go wrong.

So six of one and a half-dozen of the other in my opinion.

·
Registered
348 Posts
well it boils down to is: $$$$

if you don't have a battery you only have two choices. points or joe hunt

battery: you can run a rechargable 12v craftmans battery or small lawn mover one. hind these anywhere

some electronic systems do need 12v all the time but most will run down to 6-8v and run great.

you shouldn't be worried about a dead battery but about a crapy stock lucas stator.

I have run a high output stator Sparx $300 and electronic ing $100 for about 5 years and never have had any problems.

points can be rebuilt on the side of the road only if you have the tools,parts and knowledge to do so.missing any one and you stuck!!

electronic's is given the chance to never have to break down.

either way it boils down to $$$ and what you perfer.

like beer, some say light other say dark is better
BUDWEISER IS MINE:D

1 - 20 of 149 Posts