Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo!

A mechanic has told me that to upgrade my TBS with SP3 camshafts it's advisable (amongst other things) to change the
"electronic ignition module" (is that the word ?).
Is it a good idea or is there a way around it?

Also, is there an alternative to a Power Commander for carb models?

Meny tanks
:cool:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi Simon,

I think your "SP3" means Speed Triple cams (and not Daytona Super 3 cams)? The Super 3 cams would really need the high compression pistons, and would not suit your TBS on their own.

Fyi, if you fit the Speed Triple cams, you could still think about fitting the Super 3 pistons, as these would help improve the torque further. I think the combination of Speed Triple cams and Super 3 pistons offers, perhaps, the best engine performance improvement for the Thunderbird/Thunderbird Sport, and this great link may help with some additional information: (Ascot_Story - see Q-bike suggestion).

One thing on the Ignitor, if you fit the higher revving ignitor, there are a few problems to overcome with the sidestand switch wiring.

Hope this helps?

Geoff
:wink:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the reply GeoffE. Very helpful.

What I've found is parts from a T3 Daytona:

CDI / ECU
Exhaust and inlet cams
Gasket set
Carbs
I've been told that this is what you need to fit to the
TBS for it to work well, as well as a Dynokit. I imagine a Stage 2 one would be right?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sat down this afternoon and with an excel sheet worked out how much I've committed to spending on doing the TBS up; about 2,200€ !

The Stage 2 upgrade would cost in the region of 650€ so I'm going to leave it on hold for the moment. Glad I checked my spending !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts