Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After weeks of the fuel gauge not working, it's now developed an interesting little habit.

After a ride in to work or home, turn off the ignition, wait 15-20 seconds and turn back on and the fuel gauge rises to what appears to be an accurate reading.

Start the bike and it drops to zero.

Last night I swear (but have no witnesses) it kept its reading when started.

Now what's all that about ? Little bit warmer yesterday than it has been but.....

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Smack the right-hand side of the tank with a flat hand three times and chant, "Be gone Lucas, be gone Lucas, be gone Lucas" then have a beer. I promise that will work as well as taking out the sender, cleaning the sender connections, having the dealer diagnose the problem and sell you a new sender, etc. etc.
I know this from experience!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
(Un?)fortunately it's not Lucas - if it was you'd probably be able to fix it with a soldering iron.

Mine has had a similar fault which I hope I've now fixed by smoothing the edges of the PCB the float runs on as I thought (grasping at straws) it might be sticking. But I doubt the fix will last long.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
It's not that it is Lucas, it's that you live in an area where the Spirit, or Curse, of Lucas loom large! My first expereince with the Prince of Darkness was a 1964 Land Rover. We got to the point of having the sacrifice goats to make that thing run!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2007-02-17 07:04, iansoady wrote:
(Un?)fortunately it's not Lucas - if it was you'd probably be able to fix it with a soldering iron.

Mine has had a similar fault which I hope I've now fixed by smoothing the edges of the PCB the float runs on as I thought (grasping at straws) it might be sticking. But I doubt the fix will last long.
What's a PCB and where do I find it ?

Strangely, after filling up last night, looked down a few miles later and the gauge was readnig full !!

Wasn't working this morning though. Still, nearly there.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On 2007-02-20 03:55, FifeTiger wrote:

What's a PCB and where do I find it ?
Printed Circuit Board. It's inside the sensor (in the tank) so a pain to get at, plus you have to cut the tube the float runs in. I'd convinced myself one of the reed switches had failed until I applied some logic and realised that wouldn't give me the symptoms I was getting. I'm not convinced I've fixed it now but it is showing the right sort of level for the time being.

Strangely, after filling up last night, looked down a few miles later and the gauge was readnig full !!

Wasn't working this morning though. Still, nearly there.
That's just what mine did. Started working when I was in France then failed again when I got home. At least Lucas stuff would fail permanently (often before leaving Great Hampton Street).

I can take the despair, it's the hope that gets me.....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'll get my local shop to whip the tank off and have a look at all the connectors.

I want them to check the airbox to prove this 'oil breather' theory is the root cause of my oil ooze anyway.....

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
You don't need to get the tank off to look at the connectors - just the RHS infill panel below the seat.

But I suspect this isn't your real problem. And BTW ask the shop if they know what the resistance of the sender should be on full / half / empty. I bet they don't know. And if they don't how can they tell if it's faulty?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So how do you work out what's not working then ?

And what's the fix ? Is it really this electronic disembowelling ? Or can I buy a part that's more plug and play ?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
On 2007-02-22 05:47, FifeTiger wrote:
So how do you work out what's not working then ?
Trial and (mostly) error. TBH I'm still not sure......

And what's the fix ? Is it really this electronic disembowelling ? Or can I buy a part that's more plug and play ?
The complete sender unit is around £60 IIRC - I don't think you can get the float as a separate item. There are many threads here about the reliability of the Tiger fuel gauge / warning light. Some people seem to have had it fixed by reloading the tune - now I have a Tuneboy I'll be able to try this next time it goes wrong.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, left it with the garage and this is their summary findings.

Resistance goes from low to medium to high as you tilt the tank around, so the sender's working fine. Gauge works fine when tested too.

Found consistent resistance in one of the sender wires, but varying resistance in the other, couldn't find a break point and the wiring looms are very tight.

Rather than waste time trying to find it, they just ran another wire from the sender to the gauge, following the original loom as best they could.

Gauge is reading below half full now, not sure if that's correct as can't remember how much fuel was in the tank, but it seems to be dropping.

A pragmatic repair, time will tell if it's worked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts