Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed there are a few threads on electrical starting problems. I haven't seen a thread on my issue but you can feel free to point me towards one if i missed it.

Upon signing over the bike when I first bought it, the guy mentioned casualy that sometimes it won't start, but all you have to do is put it in first with the clutch in, push it to 2 mph, and dump the clutch. Try starting it again it will work just fine. He told me it was some sequence that you had to do when shutting down but he didn't have the manual . . . ********.

Anyways, it seems completely random when the bike (01 TT600) decides not to start. When it does I just hear "click" and nothing happens. I've fiddled with kick stand and neutral etc. but nothing works except pushing and dumping as described.

I pulled out the start motor and looked for any broken teeth but couldn't find any. I've checked the voltages (quickly), but didn't seem anything off. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,474 Posts
This is a pure guess, since the symptoms don't make sense to me. It might be the clutch sensor, up in the lever perch. If you pop the clutch while the bike is stationary, then maybe it will do the same thing as rolling it. The other thing I can think of is some kind of fault in the neutral sensor. The neutral sensor is tied into the starting circuit to keep the bike from starting in gear when the sidestand is down, so it may be faulty somehow and making the bike think the sidestand is down and the bike is in gear.

There's my super wild ass guess. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I noticed I forgot to mentiont that I have to press the starter buttong when dropping the clutch as the bike is moving at about 2 mph. Its not the end of the world, just embarissing as hell as i'm pushing my bike across the parking lot like tricycle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Charge time?

I've had my bike out a couple times in the frigid pa winter (I need to move south) and everytime I've turned the key and waited for the fuel pump to make its noise and afterwards, a few seconds later, a red light pops up on the dash. It has started up everytime if I wait for that (so far). Is there a short period of time you have to wait from turning the key to starting the engine? I don't have a manuel. My mechanic said triumphs had issues with charging (he's a chopper guy so I don't know if he really know what kind of triumph mine is . . . nice guy tho).

-Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Answer

I took it to the dealership and they said it was the starter solenoid. He whacked it with a rubber mallet when it wouldn't start so something was up with it. I have a new on (45 bucks, not too bad) but I'm not sure how to get it on. I can see it but I'm not sure how to get the rubber clips out. There are two slits in the rubber solenoid cover and it looks like two T's come down and fit through there. Has anyone worked with these yet? The bike is also up for sale if you know anyone who is in the philly region (f-ing recession!). I figured I would try to replace it before I tried to sell it. I have a link here to the cl ad if anyone is interested. http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1244068002.html . Hopefully by spring I'll have the dough to pick up another one. Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts