Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
background: going through cleaning and checking out a 2007 bonneville i just purchased. fixing little stuff i find here and there.

found this under the tank. not sure if an electrical component is missing, or a section of wiring. it’s been interesting, past owner “fancied” himself a mechanic.

still looking at wiring diagrams, but figured i would throw it out to the interwebs and see if i got anything back. thanks a lot to all you guys and gals that know a lot more about triumphs than i do.
05532F10-39A7-432C-B822-61387C85E4EC.jpeg

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did you find an answer? If the SAI was removed, might be the wiring connections for that. I can't recall what the connection looked like. That's not your crankcase breather to the right of the heads in the pictures, is it?

·
Super Moderator
2,417 Posts
That's his fuel line that has been disconnected and plugged from the petcock.
The connector on the left is a accessories plug. The right I am not sure what that is?

The air system has been removed & plugged. But I don't think the carbed bikes had electrical to the system.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That square plug looks like the one on my 09 that connects to a temp sensor(?) in the the braided line at the oil cooler.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
On the left is the accessory connector, and next to it is the EVAP purge valve connector. EVAP is only fitted to Californian bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi,
background: going through cleaning and checking out a 2007 bonneville i just purchased. fixing little stuff i find here and there.

found this under the tank. not sure if an electrical component is missing, or a section of wiring. it’s been interesting, past owner “fancied” himself a mechanic.

still looking at wiring diagrams, but figured i would throw it out to the interwebs and see if i got anything back. thanks a lot to all you guys and gals that know a lot more about triumphs than i do. View attachment 731854
View attachment 731854

I can see from the photo that the Secondary Air Injection system has been removed (see the plug just this side of the spark plug). The connector you are seeing is the one that provided intermittent power to the air control solenoid. Some call it an air pump, but it isn't a pump at all. It is a solenoid that opens an airway from the air box to the exhaust chamber just outside of the exhaust valves. It sounds crazy, but the exhaust burst leaves the cylinder so quickly that it pulls a vacuum behind it. That vacuum pulls air from the air box to cause any unburned fuel left in the exhaust system to burn. This lowers the unburned fuel measured at the tailpipe for emissions testing. This is actually a good thing that it is NOT being used! Disconnecting the SAI will reduce the temperature of the very top part of the exhaust pipes and reduce pipe bluing! At this point, I would check the air box to be sure the hole is plugged where the airline to the solenoid came from. I would also check inside the air box to see if it has been de-baffled! There could be a sound baffle inside the air box that somewhat restricts air flow. If it's still there, leave it!

Looking at the photo just now, I see the airline from the air box hanging down with blue tape around it and a screw plugging the hose! So, that line is plugged, at least. You may want to chase it back to the air box and plug it in a better way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks so much for the responses. you guys are good. the sai being removed makes perfect sense, as the airbox is removed.

and to everybody that was wondering that line that is plugged with the bolt is simply the fuel line that was drippy.

now i just have to figure out why my brake light is wonky, and sync the carbs. bike sounds like a drag racing car at idle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts