Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, Electrical issues have always stumped me, no matter how much I read or how much I get hands on, I just can't get it, soooo help, please.

Details; -71' TR6 motor, Custom bike bare bones electric.
-Battery, ignition switch, (Sparx coils, power box and
electronic ignition), headlights (2), tail/brake light.
- Bike being built from box so I don't know the last
time it ran.

Problem; -No spark at plugs when I kick it over (????)
-But, When I turn the key off I can see a spark jump
across the plug electrode (plug out and grounded against
the head)

Any ideas? Does the charging system have to be hooked up in order to get everything to function properly (is this my problem? Am I just an idiot? Have I made a simple mistake and don't know it.

any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. :eek:

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Okay, Electrical issues have always stumped me, no matter how much I read or how much I get hands on, I just can't get it, soooo help, please.

Details; -71' TR6 motor, Custom bike bare bones electric.
-Battery, ignition switch, (Sparx coils, power box and
electronic ignition), headlights (2), tail/brake light.
- Bike being built from box so I don't know the last
time it ran.

Problem; -No spark at plugs when I kick it over (????)
-But, When I turn the key off I can see a spark jump
across the plug electrode (plug out and grounded against
the head)

Any ideas? Does the charging system have to be hooked up in order to get everything to function properly (is this my problem? Am I just an idiot? Have I made a simple mistake and don't know it.

any help or advice will be greatly appreciated. :eek:
http://www.tri-corengland.com/acatalog/Sparx_Electronic_Ignition.pdf Here's the installation guide. Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch. The fact that you get a spark when you operate the switch means the Sparx system is working OK - juice just can't get to the plugs. When you operate the switch it must momentarily make contact and that's why you get a spark.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like a faulty ignition switch. The fact that you get a spark when you operate the switch means the Sparx system is working OK - juice just can't get to the plugs. When you operate the switch it must momentarily make contact and that's why you get a spark.
I have found one problem in my wiring, I accidently wired in a ground that was acting as a kill switch. Only when the wire was grounded did I get the spark at the plugs. When I disconnected this wire I don't get any spark at the plugs when turning off the switch, but I still don't get any spark at the plugs when I kick it over either.

I think I am gonna take the ignition switch I am using out of the circuit and try everything direct wired. If that doesn't give me any better result then I am gonna call a sparx rep. and talk with them tomorrow and see what they think.

If the ignition switch isn't bad, I think the power unit may be bad?

Still seeking any advice anyone has. Thanks to those who have replied:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts