Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 99 adventurer and I have one problem.
The indicators, fan motor and emerg. flashers don't work.
The 15 amp fuse is good. I have voltage coming in and out of the fuse block (blue/black wire).
I don't have a manual yet so no wiring diagram.
I was "told" by someone that it could be a relay.
That makes a little sense if it is a control relay to take some load off of the ignition switch.
At this point I wouldn't even know where this relay would be if there was one.
Thanx for any help fellas!

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
If the fuses are good, then it looks like you may have two problems.

First, the indicators and flashers go through the ignition switch and the blinker relay, back to the left grip switches and then out to the indicators.

Check the connections at the blinker and open the headlight to check that the connectors are tight there.

If that's not it, it could be the ignition switch. The grease may have hardened inside and gotten the moving parts stuck.

The ignition switch is a major PITA because it's 'theft resistant' and may take some major disassembly to get to the working parts, so check everything else first.

The fan only turns on when the engine gets quite hot, so you may not have reached the threshold for it yet.

Remove the seat and fuel tank and you'll find the coolant tank and plumbing under it. On the right side there's a couple of wires coming out of a switch.

Don't remove the switch, just unplug the wires and jumper across the wire connectors. Needle-nose pliers will do the trick, but don't damage the connectors.

If the fan runs you're probably OK, but you can't be certain without testing the switch -- it could be defectivef. If it doesn't run and blows a fuse you'll need to replace the fan.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more info. :wink:

Jim

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx Jim,
I had a feeling I'd here something from you on this.
I'll let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
2,626 Posts
On a second thought....

Try the signals with the ignition in the 'Park' position and see if they work.

If they function, you'll eliminate the wiring and it's the ignition switch.

If they don't work in park, you've still got the same stuff to check.

If I remember correctly, the ignition switch has spring-loaded balls inside that can stick and not make contact.

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Check your flasher relay before you do all the other stuff (easiest first) - I dont remember where it is on a 99 off hand but it will pretty much right next to the fusebox (either on the battery box door or under the seat).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fan motor does run properly (when hot).
What bothers me now is that it was mentioned that the battery box door is where I might look for the flasher relay.
There is what looks like a sheet metal mount where it might have been but no opened wire harness to indicate that it was removed. Another symptom of note is that the indicator lights don't come on and don't flash, they don't come on at all.
This bike had saddle bags when I got it. They didn't work before I removed them nor do they now.
Someone had made extensions for the lights to extend them for the saddle bags.
There are two jacketed pairs of wires going out to the tail indicators. One pair is blackand yellow/white and one is black and yellow/brown. Telling me that the black and yellow is a ground. They don't work in the park position either.
Any help on where the flasher relay is located and I'm all ears.
I do think that it's still possible that it may be in the ignition switch since I would think that if the contacts are stuck it probably would be stuck regardless of park or run position.
Am I correct on that?
Also is the emergency flasher on the same circuit meaning that the bike has to be in the park or run position?
Anyone who knows definitively where the flasher relay is: I'm all ears. (lookee there, I said that twice)

[ This message was edited by: KD5QOQ on 2006-11-24 19:02 ]

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well there was this 1 connector under the seat (3 wire) that had nothing plugged into it and sure enough it was supposed to have a flasher relay plugged into it.
In Texas some people call them "blinker dinkers" pronounced: "blanker dankers".
Hey guys, thanx for keepin' me focused! Problem solved!

Now I have to go get a "blanker danker" for my old El Camino!

[ This message was edited by: KD5QOQ on 2006-11-24 20:44 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts