Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 71/72 "Knevel" (see previous posting) OIF has a tri-spark twin electronic ignition and a tri-spark voltage regulator (both professionally fitted), battery is holding a charge at 11.2v. Bike starts OK, but headlight wont come on for 10-15 secs after starting. When warm and running, headlamps and indicators operate ok, but the faster the revs, the brighter the headlamp and speed of indicators, at idle the headlamp dims to candlepower and the indicators stop working, when I rev beyond 1800-ish, on they go!

Makes for fun at traffic lights as I have to blip the throttle to indicate!

Can anyone shed some light on my issue?

Many thanks all -

Richo

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Battery going down. Should be 13.6v fully charged, not 11.2volts. Seems like charging circuit O.K.

Check electrolyte level in battery. If low, top up with battery/distilled water. Might solve problem. If not, means new battery.

·
Registered
970 Posts
AS sais, is either bad battery or charging circuit failuure. yo should be at about 13volts running and 12.5 at rest

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll give a new battery a shot - thanks guys.

Battery going down. Should be 13.6v fully charged, not 11.2volts. Seems like charging circuit O.K.

Check electrolyte level in battery. If low, top up with battery/distilled water. Might solve problem. If not, means new battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts