Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 TBIRD-

MODS, "SPORTS PIPES, K&N AIRFILTER, NOLOGY PROFIRE COILS, NGK IRRIDIUM PLUGS."

WAS SLUGGISH TO START, HAD TO HOLD STARTER FOR MORE THAN 4 SECS, DROPPED A WHOLE CYLINDER UNDER ACCELERATION ONE RAINY DAY.

SO I PURCHASED PROFIRE COILS. NOT MUCH BETTER STARTING, MORE IMPROVED POWER WHEN RIDDEN THOUGH.

AT SPEED I INDICATED TO CHANGE LANES & THE BIKE SEEMED TO BACK OFF A LITTLE, AS THOUGH THE INDICATOR/TURN SIGNAL STOLE POWER FROM THE ENGINE.

THE HORN WONT WORK WITH ENGINE OFF.

WHILST IDLING WITH THE HEADLAMP ON AFTER A RIDE, THE MOTOR STALLED/CUT OUT COMPLETELY. RE STARTED FINE.......

BATTERY IS RECENT...........
WILL TEST THE BATTERY & DO WHAT I CAN WITH A MULTIMETER......

ALTERNATOR OR Ignition Pick-Up? MAYBE SAVE ME SOME HEAD SCRATCHING? REGARDS JEFF

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Check your earth (ground) connection. Under the tank on the left side of the frame. Scrape the powder coat off the frame under that connection. Also there is a Service bulletin for installing a new ground wire. Was in the downloads section maybe someone has a copy of that? That likely won't do much for the stalling, but the dimming of lights and lousy horn, dash lights dimming while the turn signal is on.

Also check the other ground connections at starter, alternator, battery etc.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Denny, will check all on the weekend-

I think it may be something as silly as the rubber battery strap, I dont have one.

Been giving her some moto gp action through some lovely countryside lately- have felt movement under my seat, after the rear shock/suspension bottoms out through my ass.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts