Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have an '09 Sprint St 1050 with ABS. It has very low mileage 14400km. I have not run it for over a year because the fan was not working. Or so I thought. I took it to the dealer and they messed with the wires and it started running again but it doesn't feel the same.

The electric fan used to come on often and now it barely comes on. It comes on between 6 or 7 bars
on the indicator and it does not stay on after I shut down the ignition.

I have read that it's normal that the fan shuts off when the ignition is off, but I seem to remember it came on earlier and more often. I don't know if I'm not remembering correctly. Can anyone confirm at what point the electric fan is supposed to come on.

Thank

·
Registered
68 Posts
Peter,

I'm not sure how hot it is there. Here in Washington State, it has been in the upper 80's and I've been riding quite a lot. My fan rarely kicks on, even stopped in traffic. I just checked my Triumph Sprint service manual, says to "keep hands free of fan because it's turns on even when ignition is off" or similar wording. Here's a link to a previous asked question that may have better answers. It appears that 6 bars is just about where the fan should turn on.

http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/208568-dumb-question-how-often-does-the-cooling-fan-come-on-2.html

I recently changed my coolant after letting it go for over 2 years and it does seem to keep the engine from getting hotter than before. I haven't used it, but a smart friend of mine recommended Engine Ice Coolant, but that was after I put the regular stuff in it. I'm planning to try that next time.

Perhaps they got your wires crossed when they messed with them to get the fan going again, explaining why it doesn't stay on when the ignition is turned off. I'm sure someone way smarter than me will provide you with some additional information.

Good Luck.

J

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I know the 955s keep the fan running after the ignition is turned off, but IIRC they changed that for the 1050. I don't know what the bars mean, but on my 955 RS with the temperature readout in degrees my fan comes on at about 217/218 ºF and turns back off at 213/214 ºF. (Sorry, I only use Celsius when I accidentally change to Km/ºC for Daylight Savings Time.)

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
119 Posts
On My 2008 SPRINT ST the fan switch-on temp is 103deg C.

Easiest way to check it to put TunECU on your bike and check.

You can test the fan, check and/or change switch-on temp and see at what temp
It actually switches on.

Good Luck and DO use the recommended cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
On my 2006, the fan would turn on as soon as the 7th bar lit up. Kit, we didn't get numbers, just bars.

Not sure of the exact temp, but going by my TT it would be in the ballpark of 212F.

My fan never stayed on after the key was turned OFF. My TT's fan did stay on, until the dealer uploaded a newer map.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Can confirm my 1050's fan goes on at 6 bars, turns off immediately when key off. I just let it idle for a minute to cool if it's been run hot.

I'm looking at dumping in some water wetter when I do the coolant on the weekend, will update with results

1 - 6 of 6 Posts