Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I recently switched out my front turn signals. They are currently blinking way too fast so I know I need a new relay. I have two other major problems as well. The bike won't indicate when the gear is in neutral (seems to only click once up and down when I pull in the clutch). Additionally, when I go to hit the start button everything flashes once and cuts out. I'm mainly concerned because I can't select gears, especially neutral. I assume the starter issue is due to the electrical change. Any thoughts??

Update:
Not sure what was going on with the gears earlier but they seem to be okay and I was able to set to neutral. Only issue now is the automatic kill when I go to start the bike.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out it was the battery. Only 6 months old and completely shot. It was getting less than 1V when we tested it. $90 and a new battery later, all is running well.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Well, that is good; however, it seems odd a battery would take such a dive in only six months, unless it was ravished by really poor maintenence or overextended with electrical ad on's.
I suppose you will keep an eye on things, maybe get a good charger, unless you have one already.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To your point about over extension - is it possible that without the new relay installed and the blinkers flashing too quickly that the battery is being drained? If that's the case I should disconnect the new one now and wait until I install the relay?

·
Super Moderator
21,216 Posts
... is it possible that without the new relay installed and the blinkers flashing too quickly that the battery is being drained? ...
No, not a consideration at all.

Was your battery left with the bike non-running for extended period over the winter?
Do you have an alarm?
Any other accessories installed?
Possibly left in 'park' position?

Once battery is drained beyond a certain point, it becomes sulphated to the point it is irrecoverable - this is regardless of how new it might have been. A Lead-Acid battery will self-discharge because of its own internal resistance if left without being on a maintainer. And any load - regardless of how small - will just accelerate the process.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks DEcosse,
The bike sat without being started for roughly 35 days while the tank and fenders were being painted. I suppose this could be the culprit. I should be running the bike every Saturday and Sunday for the next month or so which hopefully won't be too infrequent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts