Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Miffa what he was asking was what year is the bike and does it have a mechanical or electrical speedometer. this info is what is needed to get you the info you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have no year unless i can trace it from the engine number ,i have no electrical equipment only the engine and loom ,does the mechanical speedo, drive from the wheel or gearbox if its gearbox then its electronic as theirs no output on the gearbox ,sorry but its all i have hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

pretty sure its this diagram ,but the quality is so poor its unworkable

Attachments

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
i have no year unless i can trace it from the engine number ,i have no electrical equipment only the engine and loom ,does the mechanical speedo, drive from the wheel or gearbox if its gearbox then its electronic as theirs no output on the gearbox ,sorry but its all i have hope you guys can point me in the right direction.

pretty sure its this diagram ,but the quality is so poor its unworkable
Since you say that there is no speedo output on the gearbox I assume that its the mechanical speedo model. You should be able to find the mechanical speedo drive on the front wheel, unless you have only the engine, in which case, the America/Speedmaster engines are 270*, as is the Scrambler.

A quick search on Google Images only turns up a wiring diagram for the EFI Bonneville/Scrambler, there are slight differences in the wiring for the America/Speedmaster but the Scrambler diagram should tell you all you need to know. Diagram attached.

EDIT - Actually that didn't work due to TRAT's size restrictions. Download the diagram full size from here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cheers ripper
that helps a lot

moved on quite a bit ,nearly all of the structural side of the build in is place ,give you an idea when asked about the speedo drive for example ??? my front end consists of harley headstock,43mm Daytona yolks,43mm ktz fork legs,gsx caliper all running on a bonneville wheel ....so when asked specifics you must appreciate i have no reference to go by ,so be patient and stick with me on this and thanks for your input.

getting to the stage now where i break the mock up down and start all the final build stuff ,but before i do i would like to sort the wiring basics out lights,horn,brake lights and some very discrete blinkers ,i wont be running a speedo/rev counter or any of the idiot lights ,ive by passed the alarm system so that wont be there either ,problem i have is identifying the different systems as some numty as cut most of the plugs off .

under normal circumstances i would just build a skeleton loom to suit ,but out of the countless times ive built bikes this is the first EFI and i would not know where to start,i can see why builders like me aviod EFI like the plague
cheers again guys

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
give you an idea when asked about the speedo drive for example ???
I don't know where to start with this. There are so many factors here which could prevent the engine from ever running if you haven't got it right.

Can you tell me, or are you 100% sure that the harness and engine you have are from the same bike? Also, what was the donor bike, an America?

I'm asking these questions because there are 2 types of engine and 2 types of EFI wiring harness, and there is no pick 'n mix.

Firstly the engine - the Scram, America and Speedmaster have 270* engines. This will affect the wiring in the sense that these models use two single fire ignition coils and the programming of the ECU is different. Bonnevile, T100, Thruxton have 360* engines that use a single ignition coil with dual leads and wasted spark.

It doesn't matter whch engine you have as long as you know what it is - you can't run a 270* engine on an ECU programmed for a 360*.

The wiring harness is a bit easier to determine. The two types are CANBUS and non CANBUS. The CANBUS harnesses are fitted to models with electronic speedo. You can find out which type you have by finding the OBD2 diagnostic connector, hopefully the idiot plug cutter has missed this one, since its the only way of tuning the bike. Look at the number and colours of the wires going to the connector:

CANBUS models, 7 wires.
Black/Green
Black/Yellow
Black/Brown
Blue (CANBUS)
Red (CANBUS)
Black

Non CANBUS models, 3 wires.
Black/Green
Black
Purple

i wont be running a speedo/rev counter
If its a CANBUS harness you are using, the ECU will not function and the bike will not run without the OEM speedo.

problem i have is identifying the different systems as some numty as cut most of the plugs off .
That is the easy part, once you have determined what you are working with.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you tell me, or are you 100% sure that the harness and engine you have are from the same bike? Also, what was the donor bike, an America?

I'm asking these questions because there are 2 types of engine and 2 types of EFI wiring harness, and there is no pick 'n mix.

Firstly the engine - the Scram, America and Speedmaster have 270* engines. This will affect the wiring in the sense that these models use two single fire ignition coils and the programming of the ECU is different. Bonnevile, T100, Thruxton have 360* engines that use a single ignition coil with dual leads and wasted spark.

It doesn't matter whch engine you have as long as you know what it is - you can't run a 270* engine on an ECU programmed for a 360*.

The wiring harness is a bit easier to determine. The two types are CANBUS and non CANBUS. The CANBUS harnesses are fitted to models with electronic speedo. You can find out which type you have by finding the OBD2 diagnostic connector, hopefully the idiot plug cutter has missed this one, since its the only way of tuning the bike. Look at the number and colours of the wires going to the connector:

CANBUS models, 7 wires.
Black/Green
Black/Yellow
Black/Brown
Blue (CANBUS)
Red (CANBUS)
Black

Non CANBUS models, 3 wires.
Black/Green
Black
Purple

If its a CANBUS harness you are using, the ECU will not function and the bike will not run without the OEM speedo.

That is the easy part, once you have determined what you are working with.
really grateful for your time Ripper

engine is a speedmaster or at least i am 99% sure it is ,its all up and running great without anything plugged to it except side stand switch ,no speedo/rev counter or alarm system ,ive tricked the ECU by bridging the connections same with the ignition.

OBD2 plug is there intact and reads when i plug it in to my diagnostics

the plug has 5 wires going to it ,which i know does not correspond to your info ,the OBD plug has not been tampered with
i will look at the colours on the plug tomorrow and let you know.

been trying to source a wiring diagram but everything i look at on the net seem to be only partly the same as this loom ,

cant work out how to upload a pic or i would

cheers miffa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ripper the wires to the obd2 are
black/yellow
brown/black
black/green
purple
black

same as thruxton/scrambler T100
minus the red wire????????????

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
the plug has 5 wires going to it ,which i know does not correspond to your info ,the OBD plug has not been tampered with
i will look at the colours on the plug tomorrow and let you know.

been trying to source a wiring diagram but everything i look at on the net seem to be only partly the same as this loom
I'm using the diagrams from the Haynes workshop manual, which although there are a couple of misprints cover every model of modern classic twin to my knowledge. They show either 3 or 7 wire diagnostic ports. Good to know that its up and running though, you can start tearing wires out now.

Ripper the wires to the obd2 are
black/yellow
brown/black
black/green
purple
black

same as thruxton/scrambler T100
minus the red wire????????????
No, all EFI models according to Haynes are either 3 or 7 wire and that includes the cruiser twins. It doesn't really matter because the absence of the Red and Blue wires would indicate that the harness is from a non canbus bike. I don't know, but perhaps your particular harness is transitionary, either that or there are two wires missing from all of the non canbus EFI models in the Haynes manual.

All the diagrams are very much the same but with some important differences, for example the non canbus Bonnies, Scramblers and Thruxtons have a 6 wire ignition connector whereas the canbus models have 4 wire. But both the canbus and non canbus models of the cruisers have the same 6 wire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts