Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI
I have decided to start this thread as there is a need on the market for smaller tanks for EFI models , but no ready to go solution yet. Looks like only one we have is external pump instalation. Im going to give a try and start workin on that project.
As far as i have find out the interial fuel pump module has 3 elements:

a) fuel pump
b)fuel presure regulator
c) Fuel filter

The thing is to find the pump, small but with the 46 PSI ( 3 bars) pressure.
Regulator is not so hard to find , filter - for now i think it can be any, but i may be mistaken.

Even if i will find all those things it will be the inssue to fit it under the new tank. As im waiting now for AI and ARK removal kit i do not know what parts will be gone. Can u help? Is the whole AI system going out or only the part in the cylinders?

I have conntacted few companies about fuel pump, expecting some feedback today, so will post soon how it goes.

After all i can rebulid the tank to fit new pump, it can be done for sure.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The filter should be no problem. The standard one that triumph use inside the tank should do. The only requirements is that it has to be a metal one so the sides don't bulge under the pressure and the hose connections are firm.

The one fitted to Bonnies is Triumph part number T1240850

You can get an equivalent, quite a bit cheaper, here. It's a well-known make of acceptable quality:

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/fuel-tank-filter-replaces-triumph-part-t1240850-6738-p.asp

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, as always u are the best!
If i remove AI, is there any part going out from the frame where the tank is? I just think where to put new pump :)

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Thanks, as always u are the best!
If i remove AI, is there any part going out from the frame where the tank is? I just think where to put new pump :)
Complete removal of all the AI gear (solenoid, hoses, clamps, reed valve block, etc) frees up no end of space under the tank and even leaves several empty M6 threaded holes spare to attach things.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After research i have found that dificult to find exaclly 46 PSI pump,
I just think to use 45 and use regulator to increase the pressure for 1 psi more, do u think it will work?

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
You need to look at the gpm of the pump not the psi .The regulator sets the pressure if the pump flows enough and can handle the pressure thats what maters.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The pump on mine only consumes something like 2.8 amps at 12 volts. That's just over 30 watts. Not a great deal.

The smallest capacity pump you can get should do, It's only a mild 865cc twin engine after all, for example one from the VW Fox.

Have a read through this manual for a DIY fuel injection system, the Megasquirt. Look about 3/4 of the way down for advice on what sort of pump would be required:

http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#supply

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
I have this funny feeling that our friend Martin here is going to be coming up with some very cool mods! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
:)
I wish it to be truth but it looks like i choose the wrong version ( EFI)
I struggle with so many things. Now I looking into CAM Bus,
I need to clean front of the bike with custom controls, and guage, but propablly not possible due CAM bus errors,

Everything i tuch on that bike is hard to change:(

May be anybody knows if EFI bikes controls ( turn signals switch, low and hig beam lights, star,) are controled by CAM Bus or not?

EFI is definetlly not good for customization.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well, not that big. The fuel filter looks actually biger than the pump.

May be a good idea to rebulid the old tank to fit that thing inside, less capacity of the tank but who cares:)

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
well, not that big. The fuel filter looks actually biger than the pump.

May be a good idea to rebulid the old tank to fit that thing inside, less capacity of the tank but who cares:)
I think thats a much better idea and far simpler to adapt than trying to come up with a completely different workable version for mounting outside the tank Martin.

Not sure what your problem is concerning guages etc. You should be able to source smaller gauges that will work with the oem system, is there something I'm missing here?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Can bus is an inssue.
I made a big test yesterday.
U can remove only RMP, no speedo. If u remove speedo , bike will not start. I need to pass that signal somehow, but it is hard. I will find out the solution.

I did not know it os going to be so hard to customize 11 scrambler, now i can say, it was wrong decision, i should look closer for used carb or early EFI models...

·
Registered
47 Posts
trying to bump this thread up to see if anyone was actually succesfull in fitting a smaller tank on the EFI models. I dont mind the lower fuel capacity, i just wonder if all that can in fact fit inside an earlier model bonnie.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The CANBUS is only on the instrumentation communication - it is not used for sensors or ancillaries or even lighting.
The latest Service manual warns that if the instruments are disconnected the engine can not be started, so that CANbus thing does affect other systems.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts