Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can a efi head be put on a carb bonneville engine? Existing head is damaged beyond repair and cannot find a carb replacement for the right money but there seem to be more Efi heads out there. They have different part numbers but I cannot see a difference. Can I simply put an efi head on in place of the carb head on the basis everything else remains the same? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pieman that’s great. I will look for an intact full head and idler gear. Another possibly silly question but are the gearbox and shafts the same too or would a carb engine not accept an efi set? Same issue, it’s looking like all the innards need replacing and I’m finding lots of efi gearboxes but very few carded ones. Cheers.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wow , What happened to the engine ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stupid is what happened - previous owner wanted to paint their engine so had someone media blast the engine without stripping it or cleaning it out after. Media inevitably got into the engine and scrapped most moving parts. Basically all bearings open to the now abrasive oil have to be replaced. As the cam covers in the head are matched and not replaceable a new head is needed. EFI parts are more common now so wondering if these can be used to replace the shafts and gearbox etc.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sorry to hear that, so the previous owner and the blasting company were oblivious to the carnage !

Would it be possible to buy a complete engine and strip the other one and sell what is good to make some money back ?

Could be the basis for a TTP big bore motor too :)

Reactions: Leoj2004

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Roasted, appreciate the reply and info. @headcoats - I came to the same conclusion and found a carb engine today in good order and at a really good price so I bought it. I’m going to swap them out and sell off the parts I can salvage.....although I hadn’t thought of the big bore idea..mmmm........

1 - 8 of 8 Posts