1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just ordered one, thanks for the post...! Hey, while Im here I see you have the Norman Hyde silencers. You like them? I was about to get mine installed, but have been hesitating, as I don't really want a pair of overly loud, obnoxious pipes.

I have read a lot of stuff about them, what is your opinion?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just ordered one, thanks for the post...! Hey, while Im here I see you have the Norman Hyde silencers. You like them? I was about to get mine installed, but have been hesitating, as I don't really want a pair of overly loud, obnoxious pipes.

Here's a link to a YouTube video. I think the audio is pretty accurate. I wanted a moderately throaty, rumbling sound, but not obnoxious. Others who have heard the exhaust in person agree. I've also read that this exhaust is similar to the sound of the Bonnies from the 60's. The current stock exhaust sounds like a Singer sewing machine.

And congrats on the Bonnie! Details? Pictures?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRoa6sQ9Hk

·
Registered
648 Posts

I installed Togas on my '09. I couldn't be happier with the performance and sound! They are exactly what I was looking for and yes, the sound is very reminiscent of the sound I remember from the Bonnevilles of the 60's and 70's. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
HobbitFan, that video was amazing. A beautiful sound indeed. Not at all obnoxious like I was thinking. Thanks so much.

And Xchoppers, your bike is absolutely stunning. Mine is a white and Tangerine 2004 T100, which I chose because I loved the color scheme of the 1959. I also had the racing stripes added to the fenders, added fork gaitors, and was considering the Hagon shocks to try and complete the look. For some reason though, the pattern of the orange and white on the '04 does not totally do it for me. When I saw the photos of the 50th anniversary bikes recently I was amazed. What a nice looking machine.

Here's a question for either of you, or anyone else. I was planning on fitting the Norman Hyde's to my bike and having the shop rejet the carbs. I thought this might save them some time with the job, and save me a few dollars. Will running the bike a short distance with the Togas without performing the rejet hurt anything? Will it run like crap? I am just talking about maybe 5 miles to the dealership. This may be a sllly question to you guys, but carburetor rebuilds have always been a pain for me.

Thanks again. The video was a great way to display the pipes. I am also looking forward to my calendar. And Xchoppers, consider yourself lucky to own such a beautiful machine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a question for either of you, or anyone else. I was planning on fitting the Norman Hyde's to my bike and having the shop rejet the carbs. I thought this might save them some time with the job, and save me a few dollars. Will running the bike a short distance with the Togas without performing the rejet hurt anything? Will it run like crap? I am just talking about maybe 5 miles to the dealership. This may be a sllly question to you guys, but carburetor rebuilds have always been a pain for me.
PaulC,
Sorry, I wish I was more knowledgeable, but I don't know the answer to your question. I had my Togas installed and carbs rejetted at the dealer before I even picked up the bike. I'm sure someone here knows the answer.
By the way, that's a cool avatar of Mr Spock. I've been a fan of Star Trek since the original series aired in the 60's. Hopefully the new movie will be faithful to Roddenberry's original vision.

·
Registered
619 Posts
HobbitFan, thanks for the post. I ordered mine today.

·
Registered
648 Posts
And Xchoppers, your bike is absolutely stunning.
Thank you for your kind remarks. :eek:

PaulC said:
Here's a question for either of you, or anyone else. I was planning on fitting the Norman Hyde's to my bike and having the shop rejet the carbs. I thought this might save them some time with the job, and save me a few dollars. Will running the bike a short distance with the Togas without performing the rejet hurt anything? Will it run like crap? I am just talking about maybe 5 miles to the dealership.
Riding your Bonnie for 5 miles with the new pipes before re-jetting won't be a problem. Riding for more than 30-40 miles could cause rapid discoloration in the exhausts or melting the cats. but 5 miles isn't going to cause any damage. It may pop a little but nothing to be concerned about for such a short ride.

·
30,309 Posts
Well,

This was a thread about a calendar, and all of a sudden it's a thread about exhausts. :confused:

So, since it has got a bit off topic, I am going to shift it into tech talk.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I know what you mean Hobbit Fan, I am super excited about the new movie. Its such a cool premise I think. It will be hard to get used to the fresh faces, but I hope that the movie can bring a little life back to the whole scene. I know that I am excited to see my first Star Trek movie on the big screen.

Does this mean that the thread will be moved to the general section since now were talking about the new star trek movie?;)

That's whats cool about forums. You can start talking about classic motorcycle calendars and end up boldly going where no man has gone before.

·
30,309 Posts
OK,

This thread is starting to get all over the place, which doesn't do anyone any good. It was about a bonneville calendar, then it was about exhausts, now it's about star trek?

Lads, pick a topic and stick with it or the place becomes a mess. We have Bikers Hang Out for general topics, twins talk for topics specifically related to Triumph Twins, and twins tech talk for, believe it or not, technical discussion.

Please operate within that framework, it makes it easier for everybody.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just got my calendar in, from the UK seems to have taken longer than I thought it would.

There are some nice pictures there, but I would not order it again, unfortunately.

There is a nice pic of some '59 T120's
Ive always liked the ones with the white side covers...

And even a pic of a 2008 fuel injection Hinckley Thruxton, as well as this photograph of a T-100!
What a nice suprise!! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got my calendar in, from the UK seems to have taken longer than I thought it would.

There are some nice pictures there, but I would not order it again, unfortunately.

There is a nice pic of some '59 T120's
Ive always liked the ones with the white side covers...

And even a pic of a 2008 fuel injection Hinckley Thruxton, as well as this photograph of a T-100!
What a nice suprise!! :)
Hey Paul,

Sorry you didn't like the calendar. I thought it was impressive.

Nice photo of Mr Spock on a Triumph. I sure couldn't see him riding a Harley :)

Live long and prosper.

Kirk (HobbitFan)

·
Registered
60 Posts
No need to apologize, Mr. Kirk.

It is part of the risk of buying something you have not had a chance to examine first.
I do not care for the way the dates are set up, but the photographs are nice.

I will not be hanging up the calendar, for reasons I have stated.
Instead, I have given it to XChoppers.

Merry Christmas to you and your Bonnie.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts