Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to know what the effects of a very lean running bike would be on a new engine. First 250 miles.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
what the effects of a very lean running bike.
Thanks
Total lack of acceleration and power, especially at anything over 3000rpm.
And your engine will run hot, hot, hot!!

V.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Depends on your definition of a "very lean running bike". To my "old school" mind, the stock bonnie with carbs is a very lean running bike. It will probably run 100,000 miles that way with NO problems from the A/F mixture.

If you have done performance mods on a new bike, I would recommend you get some help in determining the A/F ratio. Some do not recommend running the bike on the dyno until it has break-in + miles on it; however, some race bikes are broken-in on the dyno.

I do not recommend ANY performance mods on a bike until one has 3000 miles on it for two reasons: 1. This gives me time to sort out any problems that occur without the added unknowns of the performance mods; 2. At this mileage, I feel comfortable putting the bike and rear tire on the dyno to get the A/F ratio set properly.

Good luck with your new bike and RIDE,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts