Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on my ordinance survey map for a route to ride and found a little gem!
The road is from Garsdale Head to Kirkby Stephen, through the Mallerstang Valley.
I set of and headed up to Sedbergh in the Yorkshire Dales, (Bandit territory!). Although Sedbergh is in the Yorkshire Dales National Park, it is actually in the county of Cumbria, work that one out!

From Sedbergh I headed up to Garsdale Head.
This is the bridge just after Garsdale railway station.

From Garsdale Head I took a left onto the B6259 to Kirkby Stephen. Its a great road, lots of undulating twisty bits!

View towards Wild Boar Fell.

Continued..............

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Carried on through the valley and just on the entry to a right hand bend I saw this,

Pendragon Castle! I don't know anything of it's history but the sign on the gate says it dates back to the 12th Century.

A few shots from in and around the ruins.

Continued......................

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

The stream you can see from the castle ruins is the early part of the river Eden. It runs through the Eden Valley for 90 miles, and eventually out to sea at Bowness on Solway.
A few views of the surrounding area.

Continued.....................

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Bonnie, complete with Castle and Royal Mail Post box, built into the wall.
From here I carried on to Kirkby Stephen, and then on to Appleby in Westmorland.
A few pics of Appleby in Westmorland.

The river is a bit bigger by the time it reaches Appleby.
From here I went over Orton Scar to Tebay and through the Tebay Gorge back to Kendal and home.
Continued......................

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to prove Cumbria is not all back roads and wilderness, we have a motorway! (just the one) here is the M6 weaving its way through the Tebay Gorge.

100 mile round trip and no rain!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Exceptional! I love the shots of the Pendragon Castle (Wasn't Arthur a Pendragon?) and of your T100. Such a nice looking bike!

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 2014 Triumph Scrambler, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,914 Posts
Looks like it was a great ride. I love the first shot of the inside of the castle, and the shot of the stream through the wall.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I was in that area last month but, alas, in a hire car. It sure is a beautiful region.

Nice report, great pics & thanks for posting.

DaveB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts