Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have a relatively new 2019 R.
And like most folks coming from liter bikes, I'm wondering how I can get more power out of it.
I've already had the suspension set up for my weight and it now handles AMAZING.
So power is next.
I'm a complete NEWB when it comes to bikes and ECU tunes.
What do I need to buy?
Where do I get the software?
Do I need a new exhaust system or can I just tune the bike with stock exhaust?
I already have a great tuner near me with a dyno so at least that's taken care of.
Please, make your answers easy for me to digest, remember, NEWB!:smile2:
Thanks all

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well, I have a relatively new 2019 R.
And like most folks coming from liter bikes, I'm wondering how I can get more power out of it.
I've already had the suspension set up for my weight and it now handles AMAZING.
So power is next.
I'm a complete NEWB when it comes to bikes and ECU tunes.
What do I need to buy?
Where do I get the software?
Do I need a new exhaust system or can I just tune the bike with stock exhaust?
I already have a great tuner near me with a dyno so at least that's taken care of.
Please, make your answers easy for me to digest, remember, NEWB!:smile2:
Thanks all

If you want the most power out of your bike you will need to get a full exhaust system, ECU tune and aftermarket air filter.

Aftermarket exhaust system will be lighter and without catalytic converters.

You could get a tune with your stock exhaust system but catalytic converters would be your biggest hindrance.

Having been down this route with other bikes in the past I would say ride the bike as is now before spending $2k on marginal power increase on the top end of the power curve. Maybe just get a slip on exhaust for better sound/look of your bike.

For $2k I would rather do a California Superbike School or some other track day focused training. One day school is about $450 from what I remember. You will gain more skills and confidence to actually use this bike to its limits.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Poster, I like your advice.
So, doing the exhaust, tune, and air filter really only gains top end?
That's really not my goal.
I'd much rather have more midrange.
Just for the hell of it, which air filters and exhaust systems should I be looking at?
And where does the tune come from?
Do I need something like a plug in Power Commander?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Poster, I like your advice.
So, doing the exhaust, tune, and air filter really only gains top end?
That's really not my goal.
I'd much rather have more midrange.
Just for the hell of it, which air filters and exhaust systems should I be looking at?
And where does the tune come from?
Do I need something like a plug in Power Commander?
I think if you want a full exhaust system you are limited to two options currently.

1. Hindle Full System
2. SC Project 1 full system

Generally, most of the power gain would be on the top end in my experience.

I think there was one member here who installed the Hindle system and he got some improvement across the powerband. So your results may vary.

I am not sure if it's possible to flash the factory Triumph ECU, if it's not possible. You will need to get something like the Power Commander 5 or Bazzaz Fuel controller.

Air filters you can check the usual suspects like K&N or BMC.

I would honestly wait until Triumph officially releases Daytona 765. There will be more aftermarket exhaust options for our bikes then.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’m that Hindle guy. My tuner told me the stock fueling was pretty good as-is. So I don’t think you’d be able to squeeze much out of a stock bike with tuning. And I’m pretty sure you’d need a PCV to do any tuning. i.e. I don’t think the ecu can be reprogrammed, though I could be wrong.

So you’d be looking at a full system, PCV and tune to get more power. I got 10, but was also able to shed 15 lbs with the full Hindle system – which was more appealing to me as I’m 200lbs without gear so was maxing out the rear spring. To be honest there are days I find it loud so take heed. Check out my thread for details.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perhaps, like me, maybe you should've bought a Speed Triple, not a Street Triple.
I owned one of the last round headlight Speed Triples. Loved that bike but it handled no where near as well as my current Street.
And I'm sure the current Speed Triple doesn't handle as well either.
In the end, I'd rather have a great handling bike with good power than the other way around.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'm sure the current Speed Triple doesn't handle as well either.
Go for a ride on one. And be prepared to pull over to the side of the road and check that you're actually riding a Speed and not a Street.

It's so much better than the last of the round headlight models.

If I never did any long haul rides I would've stuck with the Street. Just sayin' that's all.

(having said all of that I'll happily ride my 30yr old PX200 Vespa from end of Australia to the other - go figure)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts