Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

This is my first post in this forum. I am considering buying a 01 Daytona from a friend, and as it is going to be my first sportbike I'm trying to go easy with the throttle until I get some experience with the bike. The bike is fitted with a sport exhaust and map (not sure exactly what is in), but the stock exhaust is available. I wonder if there is a de-rated (with, say, 50-70hp) available.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
No not as I have heard,its just about self control, the fueling is spot on and is really controlable, just show respect for 150BHP and you will be fine, I suggest you just short shift until you get the hang of the power, its nothing like as severe as a ZX10 Gixer or Fireblade, just enjoy and welcome to the fold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Triumph makes a ninety-something horsepower kit for late-model Daytonas, but I do not know if it is applicable to you model year. Find a knowlegeable salesperson at your local dealer to find out. Unless you're going to race it in a 100hp class, I suggest being cautious with the throttle, and open it at your own pace. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
L007, Trust me, you can still F yourself up on a grand scale with less horsepower than what's available on the '01 Daytona.

It comes down to plain old common sense. Of any litre class sportbike on the road the Daytona is one of the best for a new(ish) rider. That '01, with it's broad torque range isn't going to do anything to startle you if ridden conservatively. As experiance grows, the throttle can open more and more.

Brad

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers! I will check with the reseller whether it is available. Anyway, still the 955i seems a better learning platform in place of the 675, which was my initial and quickly abandoned idea...

·
Registered
154 Posts
955 is much better than 675 for a beginner. It's nothing to do with the peak power; it's all about the driveability of the thing. The 675 is an out-and-out sports bike with a much less forgiving power delivery than the, relatively relaxed, 955.

Speaking as an ex-instructor; make sure the bike has fairing mushrooms and you have good gear. Dont skip on servicing or on tyres. If you can, change the bars for something a bit less commited. Most importantly; get your head up looking as far ahead as you can, look where you want to go not where you fear you are going and; if you feel uncomfortable, wide eyed and rushed, - you're going too fast! Get back into your comfort zone and you'll end up being faster and safer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey BadMiker

Thanks a lot for your words. I'm indeed inclined to get this baby. Does the 955i has any good place to install the mushrooms? For a beginner, would it be a fair option compared to a Ninja 250R?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey BadMiker

Thanks a lot for your words. I'm indeed inclined to get this baby. Does the 955i has any good place to install the mushrooms? For a beginner, would it be a fair option compared to a Ninja 250R?

Sorry my friend, dont know about the mushrooms but buy from a reputable brand and they should come with fitting instructions. Dont know anything about the Kwack 250, dont think we get them over here. I've heard good things about them and, to be honest, they are probably a better first bike than a litre sports bike. A mistake at 50 is going to hurt a lot less than one at 150!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry my friend, dont know about the mushrooms but buy from a reputable brand and they should come with fitting instructions. Dont know anything about the Kwack 250, dont think we get them over here. I've heard good things about them and, to be honest, they are probably a better first bike than a litre sports bike. A mistake at 50 is going to hurt a lot less than one at 150!
Hi Bad! Thanks a lot again. The Kawa 250 is new in our lands too, I heard that it is a easy going bike for a begginer. It is quite the only small sportsbike for a begginer over here, since we don't have other options like the 125s. In fact, in the beggining I wasn't even considering a litre bike, but the 955i seems to be more dependable (not sure if the word represents what I mean...) in the road than most other new bikes, excluding the small ones.
On a second thought, it is not the bike that will make the ride safer, but in fact is the rider. You are absolutely right that it is safer to make mistakes at 50 rather than at 150, but if you decide to be always at 50, where's the difference?
What worried me most about a big bike were: power delivery, low speed handling and handling in cornering. Surely the last two will be more demanding with a heavier, longer bike with larger tyres. But hell, it will be fun!
Thanks a lot again, I hope to make a good decision in the next weeks...

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, decision made, proud new owner of a '01 D955i!
Congratulations - good choice. As others have said, the 955i is a very rideable bike for a newcomer, be gentle with the throttle - and keep the revs below 6k until you're really comfortable with the bike - and it won't spit you off or do anything unexpected.

I have R&G crash bungs too, they're an easy fitting job and don't require any modification of the fairing.

Enjoy your new bike!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts