Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a daytona 600 and have the engine managment light on at the moment. Is it possible to buy a lead and download software to read the codes without having to take it back to triumph?

I ask as i use vag com to check my vw. So just checking to see if its possible to do the same with triumphs??

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,790 Posts
Where are you located (you can tell us in your profile, and it will show up under your name on your posts)? Here in the US, I believe you can get the codes read at car parts stores like Auto Zone (never tried it myself), or you can buy the gizmo that reads them from a few sources.

The most common reason for an engine light is low battery voltage. If that's the problem and the battery is recoverable, it will correct itself with three heat cycles. Just run it long enough to get to normal operating temperature (preferably while riding, so the battery is being charged), let it cool down completely, and repeat the process two more times.

Welcome to the forum! Head over to the Biker Hang Out and introduce yourself!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dont hold me to this but Vag Com should pull codes if you set it to Generic OBD2. Keep in mind you will only be able to see OBD2 codes in this mode and not any of the Triumph proprietary codes.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Find someone with a Tuneboy.

so s site search on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dont hold me to this but Vag Com should pull codes if you set it to Generic OBD2. Keep in mind you will only be able to see OBD2 codes in this mode and not any of the Triumph proprietary codes.
I just tried my Ross-Tech VAG-COM software and got different results. I'm using the HEX+CAN usb cable. When I go into Generic OBD2 section I can read all those banks and read them real time, but when I ask it for trouble codes I get the Triumph specific codes also :) just no definitions as to what they are :(

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
A DealerTool is a wonderful device, can't do all a TuneBoy can but costs lots less and you can still do all the diagnostics and some resetting of stuff on certain Triumphs. Check out the website. I use one on my Tigers.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
when I ask it for trouble codes I get the Triumph specific codes also :) just no definitions as to what they are :(
What codes did you pull?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What codes did you pull?
The codes can be read under Generic OBD2 option in the Ross-Tech software. (I just tried it out because I already bought if for my car.)

I got 4 codes. P1116(coolant temp short) and P1601(MIL open/short to ground) which I was able to fix.

I also pulled P0230 (Fuel Pump Relay fault) and P1231(fuel Relay Pump short/open to ground) that I have not been able to fix. My fuel relay opens and closes when I turn the ignition key and I hear the fuel pump running. But the bike still won't start. Any suggestions would be useful.

·
Registered
297 Posts
You need four things for any internal combustion engine to run.Fuel,fire[spark].compression,and air.If one of these is misssing,the motor won't run.You said you have fuel.How do you know?? Did you test pressure or disconnect a line to see if fuel squirts out?? Spark: Pull a plug wire and ground it against the block.Then crank the starter.If you have spark,you'll see a nice bluish yellow arc coming from the end of the plug wire.Compression: Use a compression gauge or,with all the plugs removed,place the tip of your finger in one of the spark plug holes and crank the motor.The pressure should blow your finger away from the hole.All the cylinders should be fairly equal.Air:Is your filter clean and unrestricted??So you now have a starting point.If I were to take a guess,I'd guess either fuel or spark is missing.But ya won't know until you perform these tests. Dave!!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Davetac1 - You must be an old guy like me. That's how we used to do it. Now there aren't plug wires, if fuel gets out of the tank there's no bet that it will get through the injectors, and unless you have 9" fingers, you'll never get near the spark plug hole. What might be stopping the bike is some interlock between the side stand and inlet barometric pressure change and altimeter sensor what's been damaged by an EMP from a body scanner at a nearby airport! They don't make it easy!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I can't speak for the T bird's system cause I'm not all that familar with it YET,but since it's similar to that of the automobile,[OBDII] the MAP sensor on it is what turns the fuel on and off accordingly.Now if ya wanna see if the problem is fuel,simply spray some carb cleaner into the manifold thru the air filter and see if the motor will atleast sputter.If it don't,pull a plug out, lay it on the block,and reconnect the coil with the wire connected to it.With the electrode against or near metal, crank the motor over a couple times.If the plug fires,it's fuel.Keep me posted. Dave!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts