Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I adjusted the chain and noticed the adjustments were backwards. Thought that was odd and did a little searching here and found that it indicates the eccentric was flipped most likely in an attempt to lower the bike.
So today I finally flipped it back. I did take the wheel off to alleviate a little weight on the hub and then spun it. Sure enough it was upside down. Now I'm back to stock ride height and geometry.

I didn't take it out for a ride yet, waiting for the roads to dry off, but I wanted to mention this.

I did find it amazing how much play we have to adjust the chain its nuts.

·
Premium Member
24,382 Posts
Redmossy

if you have some nice mountain roads near you and give it a bit you should notice a much better or quicker turn in speed as the rear ride hide should have increased steepening slightly the front geometry.

It hopefully will feel sharper and more agile in the turn.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
61 Posts
... and when your chain wears your wheel won't rub on your hugger, (if fitted).

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the nearest mountains are a 12hour ride from me but there are a few twisties in town I like to run through. I took a few of them tonight and noticed a large improvement in turn in. So much so I have lost all confidence in turning because its so quick now. But I'll regain that as soon as i relearn the handling. Much better feel though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
forks

G'day Red
when the bike was lowered , was the front lowered as well? you might want to check that the top of the forks are level with the top of the clipons .

st rider

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
G'day Red
when the bike was lowered , was the front lowered as well? you might want to check that the top of the forks are level with the top of the clipons .

st rider
If they are, measure them and if equal and between 3-7 mm you just might want to leave them.

Don

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well when I bought the bike they were even with the top tripple and thats the way it stayed until this year. I noticed the bike seemed slow to turn but never thought that could be the issue. So when I rebuilt it this year I lowered the forks 5mm through the trees with the guidance of Decosse. That seemed to help the slow turn in but not a lot. Now that the eccentric is flipped to the proper location I am going to leave the forks 5mm through the trees and ride it like that. I am in desperate need of new springs front and rear so that is tops on the list at the moment.

I do want to note if I havent already for any one interested in doing this mod to lower their bike that if you remove the wheel it makes turning the hub a lot easier. It only takes about 5 seconds and takes the extra weight and stress off the hub making it easier to turn. It would be over kill on a chain adjustment but when you gotta turn the hub 180 it makes it easy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts