Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

From the sounds eminating from my front brake I suspect my 2nd rotor has warped (1st one replaced under warranty along with the pads). I have done arounf 4,500 miles with the new rotor and pads, and it sounds like the pads have worn out too. Does this sound right? Either way I plan to upgrade the front brake with an EBC rotor and pads, as suggested by so many in this forum.

Question 1: What is a 'floating' rotor as opposed to a plain rotor?

Question 2: Should I use the HH pads?

Question 3: Where in South London/Surrey can I find what I am looking for as opposed to waiting for a mail order delivery. I would like to get them asap ie today or tomorrow.

cheers

Peter

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Peter, as per your other post on wheel removal, you'd be best referring to the Haynes manual which
will guide you in removing the pads.
You can actually view the pads insitu to see if they have in fact worn and are causing your noise.
If the disc is warped you'll probably be able to feel it pumping the brake lever at low speed.

I'd certainly recommend going the EBC route.
The floating disc is a 2-part disc, of differing material, which is connected with the bobbins which
can be seen here.........

This, as opposed to a solid one-piece disc, allows very slight float between the rigidly bolted inner
section and the outer section on which the brake is applied.

Definately go for the HH pads in conjunction with the disc.

I bought mine direct from the EBC UK website. Delivery time was fairly prompt. Not sure where you'd
find them off the shelf down south.
Maybe someone else can help there.

V.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that. I assume then that 'float' is another way of describing built in 'play'?

I am trying to get my Night Rod back from the shop Wednesday so I am in no rush to do this myself.

Then I can order online at leisure.

thanks

Peter

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just installed the EBC pads and floating disc on my Scrambler. It was very simple using the Haynes manual as a guide.

Triumph specs that you replace the disc bolts when replacing the disc. I called the local Triumph shop and they said if the bolts look OK they could be re-used. Remember to use blue Loc-tite on the bolts and torque to specification.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't quite believe that the disc and pads were actually delivered as promised at 9am this morning by UPS. 23 hours from placing order to them being delivered to my house.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I can't quite believe that the disc and pads were actually delivered as promised at 9am this morning by UPS. 23 hours from placing order to them being delivered to my house.
I find your lack of faith disturbing.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts