Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was inspired by Propforward's excellent post on changing pads ...

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-tec...andard-brake-pad-replacement.html#post1205704

..... to take it a bit further and upgrade the front rotor as well. I just installed it yesterday, along with the proper sintered metal pads that must be used with it.
So far, it's just getting bedded-in, so I can't speak about braking improvement yet, but I do notice better handling esp. on the initial "drop-in" or lean whilst turning. Seems I can feel less gyroscopic force on the spinning wheel. Real or imagined? I say real.

EBC Pro Lite Disc System is about $230-239 at the usual shops and websites. Kit includes 2 pads and one lighter-weight, semi-floating rotor. I got mine from South Bay Triumph in Lomita, CA. It was an easy job getting it fitted using the Haynes manual and Prop's above-mentioned post. Requires wheel removal, of course. It took me 4-5 hours as it was the first time I had a wheel off and I took it *very* slowly but surely. Now I'd say I could do it carefully in under 2 hrs. More experienced wrenchers in under 1 hour.

Oh- the stock caliper is used so there's no messing around with fluid or new calipers or anything like that. If my bike was a year older I'd have taken the opportunity to flush the line and add new, but she's only 1 year old.

Wanna see it?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I put it on my bike as well. I don't know whether the floating disc was worth it, but those pads are a major improvement over stock. No more on-off feel. I put the same pads on the rear with no noticeable improvement. The rear brake just plain sucks.

Edit: where in LA county do you live?

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Torrance.
One of my "quickie" rides is to run over the Vincent Thomas bridge and down to the Grand Prix roads over there in Long Beach. This is the best time of year there eh? Riding past all the grandstands I feel like flooring it or doing an imaginary victory lap.

·
30,517 Posts
Good follow up Ruger. I have heard that those EBC discs are way better than stock - and I can believe it. Even just adding EBC HH pads has helped.

Cheers for the post!

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I'm in Torrance.
One of my "quickie" rides is to run over the Vincent Thomas bridge and down to the Grand Prix roads over there in Long Beach. This is the best time of year there eh? Riding past all the grandstands I feel like flooring it or doing an imaginary victory lap.
LOL. I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to run down there this week.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL. I hadn't even thought of that. I'll have to run down there this week.
Early Sunday mornings are the best time. Too bad they couldn't have a "Mad Sunday", Manx style for everyone to have fun on the course.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Follow-Up Report on the EBC Rotor

Now that I've put a couple of hundred easy-braking mikes on the Bonnie I can say that these EBC rotors (together with the EBC pads) are truly an upgrade. Better feel, more easily modulated, lighter, and, I imagine cooler as I can hear the flit-flitting of the air holes when I brake.

Big difference in so-called "Panic Stops". No harsh initial bite and much better deceleration as pressure is increased.

To sum it up I'll say that they stop the bike better than the stockers. And that is a very good thing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Glad to hear it. I've got the front on order, as well as an EBC rear, since I managed to warp the stockers pretty badly. It'll be nice to have better braking once I finally get them installed.

Any problems removing the screws holding the rotor on, and how did you go about that? I'm hoping to get away with using a propane torch and/or a manual impact driver.

Thanks for sharing this.

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad to hear it. I've got the front on order, as well as an EBC rear, since I managed to warp the stockers pretty badly. It'll be nice to have better braking once I finally get them installed.

Any problems removing the screws holding the rotor on, and how did you go about that? I'm hoping to get away with using a propane torch and/or a manual impact driver.

Thanks for sharing this.
I was told I'd need to use a torch but I got away without it. They just came off with an allen wrench. May be because it's still fairly new being an '08? Tight, but no danger of stripping.

You're installing two? Hmmm, may be a good idea on the back, esp. if loaded down with saddle bags. Good idea.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts