Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching parts and bikes on eBay to get an idea of what is available and what it costs.

eBay is eBay. Sometimes there are real bargains, and sometimes crazed bidders drive the price of junk sky-high. Aside from all that, what do you guys think about buying stuff on eBay? I know at least one eBay dealer is not well respected around here. But are prices generally representative?

And I am surprised by the cost of some things. For example, Roy Bacon's Triumph restoration brings big bucks (for a book anyway) as do some of his other books. I am guessing they are just scarce. Original shop manuals bring big bucks although repops are more reasonable.

Any other good auction sites?

·
Super Moderator
12,929 Posts
I found out that resto book brings over $100 !! I paid cover price ($30, I think) for my copy.

e-bay prices (and quality, and reliability) fluctuate too much to be a barometer for the market, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I hate ebay. Keep looking if noone aorund here has what you need. There is enough people in here from all over the country and world that someone has to know someone who has what your looking for.

I have been visiting this site for over two years now and I don't think anyone has been stirred wrong.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GPZ-

You're right about price fluctuations. The timing of the end of the auction, and the way the auction is set up and described can really affect the results, as well as crazy bidders. I have found it really helps to be thorough in searching for items; poorly constructed auctions, and mis-categorized items are more likely to sell low. And eBay is so big, and has so many nooks and crannies, some auctions just aren't found by potential bidders. I think you can see trends and general price ranges if you search closed auctions and watch auctions for parts you need. And it it also important to take note of the seller's feedback.

In my case I really don't know what stuff is worth so I need to get at least a general idea. For example, my Bonnie has front end damage so I have been looking at forks, triple clamps and front wheels. Looks like good condition late model forks are bringing $150-$250 depending on condition, whether it includes triple clamps. Complete front wheels in good shape are a little less, based on what I have seen so far. A good set of Smiths, tach and speedo, go for $200-$300 based on condition. So at least I have an idea of values.

Quagmire, I don't hate eBay, although I agree it is better to deal directly with someone you know. But eBay is like a giant garage sale in your computer. I have been burned on eBay, but I have also gotten some great deals. Like anything else, caution, preparation and common sense go a long way to protect against scams and bad deals.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I am not surprised about misspelling software. There is a lot of eBay software out there and this one could save time which is always at a premium. Some obvious misspellings can be done manually. But I usually go at it a couple of ways, using the search engine and also browsing categories. Unless it was both misspelled and mis-categorized, I'll find it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts