Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/09/us/florida-roach-eating-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

"
(CNN) -- A 32-year-old man downed dozens of roaches and worms to win a python at a Florida reptile store, then collapsed and died outside minutes later.

Edward Archbold was among 20 to 30 contestants participating in Friday night's "Midnight Madness" event at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, authorities said.

The participants' goal: consume as many insects and worms as they could to take home a $850 python....Eventually, he fell to the ground outside the store, the sheriff's office said. An ambulance took him to North Broward Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead....

Cockroaches themselves don't transmit disease, though "many disease-causing organisms can grow and multiply in their guts and can then be deposited ... during defecation."

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
This whole story is just plain WRONG on so many levels. I don't know where to start. :(

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Let me help you out Irish.

DON'T EAT FREAKING ROACHES!!!!!

·
30,462 Posts
That seems to sum the situation up quite well.

One less dickhead in the world. Zero sympathy.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,079 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Dumb people are dumb.

·
Premium Member
5,053 Posts
I read that story this morning and wondered exactly what killed this guy. Yeah, I know it isn't a good idea, bugs, bacteria, etc. But it sounds like the death happened way too soon for it to be a septic issue. I'm eager to see what the autopsy says. One more reason to wear a full helmet with a face shield. There may be a more lethal threat from catching bugs in your teeth than falling on your head. :p

·
30,462 Posts
DON'T EAT FREAKING ROACHES!!!!!
I'd like to expand on this, and advise that it is a good idea not to eat any roaches, whether they appear calm, panicked or whatever. They are, I suspect, bad to eat no matter what their state of mind is at a given time.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The thing is, after the Apocalypse roaches will probably survive in very large numbers. My plan was to rely on them as a primary food source. I guess now I have to come up with a new survival plan.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
The thing is, after the Apocalypse roaches will probably survive in very large numbers. My plan was to rely on them as a primary food source. I guess now I have to come up with a new survival plan.

I personally feel that you just need to cook them first. That way all of the pathogens are dead. Or, find the last few remaining chickens and use the roaches as food for the birds and then live on the eggs.

I think earthworms and snails may still survive and if you can control the medium in which they live, you can control some of the taste. For example, you could have the snails live in corn meal and that way they don't taste like dirt. I figure that with all of the GMO corn, that it too will survive. Who knows maybe cockroach and snail tamales? Maybe throw in a couple of wasps for some spice...

·
Premium Member
3,860 Posts
Juni,

I think the trick here would be to cook them to a minimum internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F.

I think pan sauteed in butter, onions, mushrooms and garlic with a little white wine to deglaze the pan in a more formal setting, whereas for say an outdoor barbeque, skewer several live ones on a stick and grill over medium heat until nice and crispy. Serve with a vinegar and mustard based dipping sauce.

Serve the former with a nice Chardonnay and the latter with some Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I'm gettin' hungry just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
My parents always told to stay away from roaches, though I think they meant the ones they kept stashed away.

Anyway, is anyone absolutely sure the British chick had her stomach removed from drinking liquid nitrogen or from eating British food?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Juni,

I think the trick here would be to cook them to a minimum internal temperature of at least 160 degrees F.

I think pan sauteed in butter, onions, mushrooms and garlic with a little white wine to deglaze the pan in a more formal setting, whereas for say an outdoor barbeque, skewer several live ones on a stick and grill over medium heat until nice and crispy. Serve with a vinegar and mustard based dipping sauce.

Throw all of the above away and drink the following

a nice Chardonnay and the some Pabst Blue Ribbon.

I'm gettin' hungry just thinking about it.
Made a few adjustments to your recipe.

·
Premium Member
4,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I like the recipes guys, I'm not so distraught now. I do hope I'll be able to find some of those ingredients, when all hell breaks loose, but the cooking part should be easy at least.

It's been a while since I had PBRs. I'm pretty sure that stuff would survive the Apocalypse.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Did you know....

That escargot is cooked from ordinary variety garden snails. I was never told off for letting the roaches out like Lefty was, but I did get berated by a French "uncle" once for letting all the snails out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts