Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying with NO luck to bleed the front brake on my 02 Bonneville! I just replaced the stock line with a new braided stainless unit.
I have had the brake lever engaged with a rope as all the earliers posts recommend. However I am getting nowhere! When using this method do I open the caliper bleed screw with a hose attached in a bottle of new fluid? Or do I keep it closed?

I need to ride the bike home today ....... Help

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Pull it slow

Reservoir full and cap on but loose, you’ll need to keep it full. Bleeder closed with line in can. Lever untouched. Squeeze the lever slowly but fully. Let it go all the way. Repeat about 5-6 times before you squeeze and hold the lever and crack the bleeder then retighten the bleeder before letting the lever go. Repeat. When you start to get fluid from the bleeder line into the can then your new line and caliper is filling. Keep the reservoir full. The idea is to fill the new break line, reservoir, and remove all the air. Let me know.

·
30,532 Posts
Sometimes it pays to tie the lever back to the handlebar, and let it sit overnight (cover off the reservoir - cover it loosely with saran wrap). This will let the air slowly come out of the brake line, then you can proceed with bleeding as normal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats exactly the method I have been trying. Toggle lever 4-5 times , hold , open bleeder , close bleeder. I am getting nothing. Thanks Guys I really appreciate your time! Thanks!

·
30,532 Posts
The speed bleeder is all very well, but the problem here is getting fluid to go down the brand new line. I have experienced this problem on a couple of bikes. In that situation I do the overnight thing I mentioned above. The fluid makes it's way down the line, enough that you can then start pumping it through.

I've never found a need to actually keep closing the bleeder valve if your drain hose from the caliper goes into some brake fluid in a jar, but that's just the way I do it.

·
Lifetime Premium
1,670 Posts
There is a suction tool out there too, that you can attached to the bleeder and draw the fluid down the lines. If you have a top-sider for doing oil changes on your car, you should be able to use this too.

·
Registered
915 Posts
The answer to your problem is Mity-Vac.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Lacking all the fancy tools, do it like the factory. Get a large syringe and open the caliper bleeder. Force the fluid backwards through the line until you fill you previously empty master cylinder.

If you have nothing else, fill the master cylinder, open the caliper bleeder and very slowly pump until your master cylinder fluid starts going down. Then close your caliper bleeder and pump normally and bleed it out.

Both methods are 90% effective.

If that doesn't work, you need a MightyVac.

Jim :cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts