Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking into how to matte black out some of the chrome on my Thunderbird and discovered a great solution.

1) Scotch Brite Pads
2) Tack cloth
3) Self-Etching Primer
4) Black Truck Bedliner in a spray can

Total cost less than $25 and after my little experiment I've got tons left over.

I decided to test it out on the chrome Triumph rack. First I sanded it down with the Scotch Brite pad I picked up at my local auto supply store.

I sanded it in all directions till it looked like brushed aluminum.

Then I got all the dust off using a tack cloth, and only handled it with rubber gloves to keep finger oil off of it. I hung it in my garage and painted it with the Self-Etching spray on primer.

The can said it would be dry in 10 minutes, and it was. I added a second layer just to be sure. (While I was waiting, I popped off the lower brake fluid reservoir cover and sanded it and primed it too!)

I then sprayed a thin layer of the spray can Truck Bed Liner on it, waited 30 minutes and added another layer.

It turned out great - and this stuff is durable as can be. Looks like powdercoating, slightly rough. I added a layer of spray on protectant which gave it a slight shine and should protect it well.

Next up: Chrome belt cover and coolant reservoir cover :cool:

I'm thinking of how I can do the front and back signal lights without too much hassle ... and then the chrome pannier mount strips on the back fender ... its like an addiction :)

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Well, I think you're pretty well committed to the project now! It will be interesting to see how it all turns out. Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sorry for the less than perfect pics. I spend all my money on my bike... can't afford the iPhone 4 :D

Didn't have much time today... blacked out the belt cover and ... picked up and put on my new Dart flyscreen. Can't wait to give it a road test tomorrow!

I also blacked out the fuel cap just for kicks. I didn't really care much for the stock cap, and am probably going to order another one from Fasteddy, so I thought I'd see how it turned out. I'm kinda liking it... might just have to keep it.

Contemplating doing the whole front instrument panel cover on the tank... just not sure about that big rubber seal coming off and on easy. If anyone has a link or any experience with that, I'd appreciate any info.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the dash comes off with a screw or two.
Yup, there are three screws it looks like. I'm just worried about the big rubber gasket around the whole thing. To paint it I'd have to remove it, and I don't know if it's glued on or what. Putting it on again over top of the paint might cause it to leak or something, since the bedliner paint is rougher than chrome. I suppose I could tape it off, but my experiences with tape and paint are less than ideal :confused:

Maybe a little bead of sealant around it afterwards, but that might be a mess...

·
Banned
9,598 Posts
The instrument panel comes off easy, and the seal is no problem. There are a few dabs of glue but they're only there to hold it in place during install. It doesn't really need it. Mine has been off and it was no problem going back on without glue. There is a channel in the rubber that the edge of the instrument panel fits into. Very simple. Just remove the 3 screws, pull the rubber boot thats over the connector till the connector is bare so you can grab it and push the little locking tab and pull the connector off. There ya go. Can't say about the speedo because I never had a reason to remove that from the panel. But as i recall i think it unscrews from it. Got to. I just don't recall for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts