Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I and a couple of others are doing an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) over the Easter weekend, 11th/12th April following this route, finishing at the Ace Cafe Sunday afternoon - British Bike day

If you fancy coming along, PM me.

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I first looked, the weather forecast for the ride was "rain at times" along with faint suggestions of "strong to gale force winds".

According to the BBC, it'll be clear, 3c overnight and 13/14 during the day.

We'll be waterproof anyway because this is after all England in April and I think long johns might be appropriate also.

If all goes according to plan (what could possibly go wrong?) we'll get to the Ace between 3 and 5 Sunday afternoon, ideally before "British Bikes" gives way to "Decades of performance car" :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
I and a couple of others are doing an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours) over the Easter weekend, 11th/12th April following this route, finishing at the Ace Cafe Sunday afternoon - British Bike day

If you fancy coming along, PM me.
Having done a few of these, you might want to look at your route carefully, unless you keep to all dual carriageways or motorways you will struggle, the last one i did i completed 1099 in 19 hours, I only averaged 56mph moving average, but yet rode at 85 for most of it.

Not meant to critcise, just a little helper...

Good luck and be safe !!!!

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Abject failure unfortunately :(

We completed the ride but it took 25 hours not 24, colinw was right, keeping that average up is vital and rather more difficult than it looks. :eek:

All those of you whingeing that the stock saddles are no good should take note: three bikes, one Suzuki and two Triumphs, all with stock saddles. And we all rode home afterwards as well!

The lowest point was arriving at Carlisle at 4am. The forecast overnight low was +3c but I reckon it must have been not more than 0c in that carpark. We all went inside and continued to shiver for ten minutes before warming enough to push on.

The high point was riding the roads in the North Yorkshire Moors approaching Whitby and Scarborough, simply stunning and it was as though we'd just got up for a morning ride :D

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,802 Posts
Failure? You can still ride your bike, right? Anyone end up in jail? Okay then; maybe it wasn't a total success, but it sounds like it was a good ride, and good practice for another attempt!

From what I've seen and heard of the UK, completing a SS1000 there would be even more of a challenge than here in the US of A.

Any pictures? :D

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pictures? no, sorry, not only did none of us remember to take a camera (despite me putting fresh batteries in mine two hours before the off) but we were having far too much fun riding to be messing about with cameras.

Yes we definitely can still ride our bikes - all of us were out and about again yesterday :D

You may be right about the increased difficulty of doing it here, it's hard enough trying to plot a route as long as 1000 miles in England, but most of the excess time actually occurred on the 350 mile stretch of motorway. Next time I'll plan the motorway with much shorter waypoints - "I have to be 350 miles away in 6 hours" isn't anywhere near as pressing as "I have to 60 miles away in 60 minutes".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts