Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cause I didn't have to pull it! The frame just came apart around it and I pulled the main frame off, put boards under the motor and slide the down tubes out. Just as I finish that the new body work arrives so I get to play around with that. Sure do hate grinding off those beautiful factory paint jobs and hand striping though - kind of sad at first, but I quickly get over it. :-D JCW

Tank and cowl for gunfighter seat.

Put some blocks under the motor and pull the down tubes out. I can pick the case up - seems about 150 pounds according to the butt scale. (very similar to the butt dyno)

Undo a few bolts and this lifts right off the motor.

[ This message was edited by: Thrux-ton-up on 2006-11-22 13:23 ]

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mancha - Actually the more I think about it the more difficult it becomes, so many color combos I like - thats one reason for the 2nd tank - so I can have two sets of fully painted body work and swap out when I feel the urge for a new look. Basically designing the bike from the ground up as far as colors go. On every little bracket nut and bolt no less. I 'm going to start with checking on the sample chips at the powder coaters, metalics, candies, pearls, matt finish and High gloss finish.

The cowl is an air tech and the fit is less than perfect at this point - may not be usable - so I have an email in the see whats up with the cowl. I sure would like to have one that fits - may end up building my own - unless rodburner has some more old tv sets around :-D JCW

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
John,I vote chroming the frame,ala,Rickman. As far as cowls go,that one looks good,make it fit. My last cowl project was last weekend,involving a sectioned fuel tank from my CB450 parts bike.Might still use it in a cafe incarnation someday. :-D

PS. No I don`t mind storing all your junk in my garage while you do the rebuild. :-D

[ This message was edited by: rodburner on 2006-11-22 16:13 ]

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I had looked at the frame and thought it'd be an easy motor to pull. My XS is a pain, you have to unbolt it and rock it forward, then out, and it's heavy! it takes a couple of guys to lift the motor and one to hold the frame!

Rodburner, that seat looks good, let's see some more!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Machine - black and gold is a combo I've thought of, but not flat black.

Steve - Also looked at the powder coat called near chrome - looks like polished alloy. Also like one called Black chrome. Yea I like the cowl too - waiting to hear what air tech can do for me.

Another thought is too Nickle plate the tank then mask and paint and pin stripe for combo of paint and plating. Maybe the knee indents nickle plated - paint the tank black pinstripe around the plating in bright red and put a red racing stripe down the middle. I need to learn how to do photo shop.

·
Registered
683 Posts
On 2006-11-22 16:11, rodburner wrote:
John,I vote chroming the frame,ala,Rickman. As far as cowls go,that one looks good,make it fit. My last cowl project was last weekend,involving a sectioned fuel tank from my CB450 parts bike.Might still use it in a cafe incarnation someday. :-D

PS. No I don`t mind storing all your junk in my garage while you do the rebuild. :-D
I could be wrong on this, but as memory serves, Rickman frames were Nickel plated. As the chrome plating would have lead to hydrogen embrittlement. The cure for which is to bake the frame while still in a jig to maintain alignment, at around 500F(don't quote this number) for about 6(this one either) hours, and allowed to cool in the oven, which would have taken about another 12 hours, as the whole oven had to cool......

I did quite a bit of research on frame plating back in the '70's when a freinds chrome plated sporty frame just sorta disintegrated one day at about 80mph......but my Rickman Montessa mMX'er took a beating and never even developped a stress crack....

·
Registered
891 Posts
Thanks for supplying the pictures of your rebuild. It will be interesting to follow your progress. I am also painting my original thrux parts for an alternate paint scheme, but mine will be a much simpler project than yours.-T1

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Kliff,thanks for the correction.I had a Kawasaki 120 back then and lusted in a bad way for the shiney Rickman`s or Pentons. John`s Thrux in nickel will suit ME just fine. :-D

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
On 2006-11-22 20:55, Bonafide wrote:
You can ride my Kawa if you want. Not sure if you can handle it, it's much faster than what you're use to ... :-D
I heard those KLXs were bad to the bone. :-D

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
John, I'm sorry all that comes to mind is Duc Red!! Or may I dare GOLD with lots of metal flake with the tank and fenders black cherry!!!!

·
Banned
798 Posts
Thrux-ton-Up,

I'm color blind (sort of, or just have bad taste) so I wont cause you to suffer my poor color suggestions. However, since you may be painting the whole thing I'd suggest contacting the United State Airforce and ask for a few gallons of radar absorbing paint!!!!! Might be helpful while strafing your local back roads at low level.

More seriously, would that Rubitone paint look good on the frame?? It has a very interesting texture. Just a thought.

kjazz

1 - 20 of 29 Posts