Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Earplugs illegal in Ohio. Riders have been cited and fined.

4511.84 Earphones or earplugs on operator prohibited.
(A) No person shall operate a motor vehicle while wearing earphones over, or earplugs in, both ears. As used in this section, "earphones" means any headset, radio, tape player, or other similar device that provides the listener with radio programs, music, or other recorded information through a device attached to the head and that covers all or a portion of both ears. "Earphones" does not include speakers or other listening devices that are built into protective headgear.

(B) This section does not apply to:

(1) Any person wearing a hearing aid;

(2) Law enforcement personnel while on duty;

(3) Fire department personnel and emergency medical service personnel while on duty;

(4) Any person engaged in the operation of equipment for use in the maintenance or repair of any highway;

(5) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment.

(C) Except as otherwise provided in this division, whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of or pleaded guilty to one predicate motor vehicle or traffic offense, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree. If, within one year of the offense, the offender previously has been convicted of two or more predicate motor vehicle or traffic offenses, whoever violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor of the third degree.

Cite as R.C. § 4511.84

Effective Date: 10-30-1989.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
The laws seems to be for audio equipment,not safety equipment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I've never worn them but I'm trying a pair out; at least for longer rides. A forum member recommended Eargasm and they work for me.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Always. I never realised how fatiguing wind noise was until I started wearing earplugs.

People who think they don't need to because they have a "quiet helmet" - your brain adjusts to constant noise levels pretty well, but your hearing is still being damaged. Even the quietest helmets are still noisy enough at high speeds to cause gradual but very real hearing damage.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have ridden in Ohio with earplugs. Knowing this would not stop me from doing it again. My hearing is worth more than a ticket.

I am curious. How did they know they were wear using ear plugs?
Exactly. I'm not losing my hearing because some idiot politician who doesn't have an IQ of 10 came up with this. The only way they would know is if they pulled you over for something else and you removed your helmet I suppose. But I would fight it in court to be sure if they tried to write me up for them. Really I think this is aimed at people in cages but they could try to apply to motorcyclists.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Exactly. I'm not losing my hearing because some idiot politician who doesn't have an IQ of 10 came up with this. The only way they would know is if they pulled you over for something else and you removed your helmet I suppose. But I would fight it in court to be sure if they tried to write me up for them. Really I think this is aimed at people in cages but they could try to apply to motorcyclists.
^^^This! A lot of these sorts of laws have been on the books for years. And in this case, They did not want someone wearing full headphones while driving.

·
Registered
38 Posts
DITTO!

On the few occasions I've been pulled over I explain that I am hearing impaired and have to get my hearing aids. The officers have observed me removing my helmet and my custom fitted headphones and donning my hearing aids. I've never be questioned about it.

Here's the funny part. Hearing is not a requirement for getting a DL. You can be deaf and still drive.
https://axleaddict.com/safety/Deaf-People-Drive

So I'm with you, I'd fight this in court.

·
Banned
1,585 Posts
I wouldn't like to ride a Tiger without earplugs, especially the 800, the wind noise is horrendous. Besides, I can't keep up with me chums unless I fit earplugs, then it's no trouble.

·
Registered
98 Posts
OK, I'm convinced, just bought a couple pairs, one in the backpack and one in the jacket pocket. I used to use them for shooting my varmint rifle but never while riding bicycles doing the training style rides I do weekly or motorcycles, mostly with louder than stock pipes. My new helmet, (which I love by the way), is a bit noisier than the Carbon FS 15 HJC I've been using till I got the Bell modular (Revolver Evo), so by following the advice of ya'll maybe I'll save my hearing and also be less stressed and worn out when I finish my rides. Thanks brothers.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wear a Shoei RF-1200 and I find it fairly quiet - so while I have plugs I normally don't use them. What I do use a lot instead of the plugs is my beats-x bluetooth earpods under my helmet - It cuts down noise and pumps in my favorite tunes. Still can hear the revs but it is quiet. When I fly I use active noise-cancelling headsets - these buds under the Shoei are comparable to the same quality on the bike.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
On a recent ride I lost my ear plugs so I went to the fire arms section of Wal-mart and got some ear plugs there. They are awesome.

·
Registered
310 Posts
All the time, every time. Too much time at the range, too many sirens, too many open window miles. I can't afford more hearing loss.

·
Registered
19 Posts
All the time, every time. Too much time at the range, too many sirens, too many open window miles. I can't afford more hearing loss.

+1. All the time.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts