Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
All of the time. If I need to hear a bit better for using comms, I just don't push them all the way in!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have motosafe plugs. They're about 30 bucks. They block out a lot of noise but can still hear some traffic and my sena and music. Actually hear the sena better with them on

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I'd like to say I wear them all the time, but for very short hops, say to the corner gas station, at low speeds, it is safe enough without protection. Speed makes a big difference. I don't bother with ear plugs riding dirt bikes, where speeds are no where near high enough to generate loud wind noise, so all I hear is the exhaust. And I quit loud pipes long ago.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
All the time. I went to an audiologist to have a custom pair of musician's earplugs made. They work great and the filter used, allows me to hear the intercom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will if the ride is any longer than my regular commute - 72 miles around trip. With the screen up I find the TTSE to be super quiet, but when I go longer I wear a pair of Radians Custom Molded Earplugs because they're comfortable, fit perfectly, and still let in critical sounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wear them all the time. Ex Military hearing already shot. Can't afford to lose any more. Want to hear the music and my grandchildren laugh.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Absolutely all the time except for, say, a hop to the corner shop.

You can always tell the old timer bikers by their lingo. It's interspersed with colourful language such as "eh?" and "pardon?"

I suffer from hypersensitization - I'm very sensitive to light, noise and skin stimulus. I even sleep with ear plugs and a neck warmer over my eyes. I always plug up with earplugs as well as headphone-style ear protectors when working with noisy power tools at home as well. The lack of noise helps tremendously with concentration and staves off fatigue in the same way as on a bike, where it is even more important.

My shark skwal helmet is a piece of crap though. Like a brick in a jet engine, that, even at modest speeds.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I Always wear them: riding, shooting and using any type of noisy equipment (string trimmer, lawnmower, etc.); I gave enough of my hearing to working with and around air tools for 27 years. I can hear with them in about as well as I, or probably anyone, can when driving a car with the radio and air conditioner running. You have to be alert and aware.......use your eyes, as well as your ears...............the "eyes" have it! (Pun intended)
Just the considered opinion of the "village idiot": Jim

·
Registered
276 Posts
Always without fail. Even if it is only 1/2 a mile. I keep a large box of foam plugs in my garage and spares in all my pockets, bags and boxes so I don't get caught out.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Always without fail. Even if it is only 1/2 a mile. I keep a large box of foam plugs in my garage and spares in all my pockets, bags and boxes so I don't get caught out.
EXACTLY. Pair in each jacket, pair in each tank bag/saddle bags. And a pair under the gas cap keyhole cover.

·
Registered
3 Posts
99% of the time I use ear plugs

When I ride a few miles, like 3, I may not wear them. Anytime I am going a distance I wear them as I feel less tired, and my hearing is not as beaten up. I don't find they cut out other car noises.

For over a decade I have used the Honeywell Laser Lite High Visibility Disposable Foam Earplugs, 200-Pairs. I keep a box in the garage and use them for power tools and more. They also fit in children's ears. I like the large box as it lasts for years.

Jim K

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pretty much since I started riding I wear them for any trip longer than down to the petrol station or the market one mile away. At low speeds there isn't a lot of noise, it just is too much at highway speeds mostly because of the wind. As others have mentioned I also can actually hear things like my intercom/bluetooth better and emergency sirens due to the lack of windnoise. If you have an aftermarket exhaust they help with that as well.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
Never. Way too paranoid. Each helmet I buy has been quieter than the last, when fully closed, anyway. I don't use a intercom, phone, or music either, though I've thought about it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Never. Way too paranoid. Each helmet I buy has been quieter than the last, when fully closed, anyway. I don't use a intercom, phone, or music either, though I've thought about it.
I'm too paranoid to not run with them.

Happily, with the exception of my commuting helmet (a Scorpion) my lids have always been really quiet. The issue for me has always been the low frequency noise that comes from the air disruption between the bottom of the helmet and my shoulders.

Properly fitted, even the disposable Howard Leights, allow me to hear all of the road sounds (sirens, cars, tires on tarmac) that I need to without the roar.

Cannot recommend them enough.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts