Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I’ve been noticing that my bike doesn’t seem to be starting as well as it used to and often I have to hit the button again. The starter spins the motor OK, but the ignition doesn’t always catch straight away. When it fails to start, the engine stalls and makes this awful loud ‘clonking’ noise from somewhere deep inside the crankcase (not sure if it's always made this noise but never noticed, as it always use to start first time).

I guess the differentiator is that the starter motor spins the motor OK. New gel battery fitted about 3 months ago, and valves checked 2K miles ago.

Any ideas, is this the possible onset of the infamous Sprag failure or am I just looking at a poor ignition issue (and being an old woman here)… ?

Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
59 Posts
The clack you're experiencing is most likely from your engine kicking back against the sprag. This I would hazard a guess may create undo stress to the sprag retaining spring.

Check your plugs, wires, coils for issues.

When failing, the sprag will make that exact some sound when you are pushing the ignition button. Maybe once, then death, or occasionally at first slowly increasing frequency as the sprag spring loosens, then death. Then, if/when the retaining spring breaks, the starter will spin without properly engaging the sprag clutch.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Alterna,

I'm wondering if this is connected with a starter problem that begun about a month ago. Whereby, the starter would not always crank the motor over when I hit the button. I checked / cleaned all of the connectors in the circuit, etc and swapped the starter solenoid as good measure.

I have an old original Triumph alarm attached to the wiring loom that looks like is about to fall apart, and I don't know if this has something to do with the poor startinh issue. Also, can you confirm if the clutch lever has to be pulled in for the starter to work (I noticed a micro-switch on the clutch lever, but I don't think this has ever worked whilst I've owned the bike).

Cheers
Steve

1 - 3 of 3 Posts