Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site has really tanked lately. Lots of newbies posting thier problem bikes on any thread they happen to land on. "Weekend Internet Mechanics", just looking for a quick answer. They sign up just long enough to get what they are looking for. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe there should be a "cooling off" period after they join to discourage the "one post wonders". ...J.D.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Reminds me of this winery we used to go to in Missouri. The first bottle sucked, but the second bottle was always much better. Even so, they refused to sell you the second bottle first.
Just wondering what part of Missouri and what color was the paper bag it was served in?

K

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I can't see what the problem is, it happens on all sites/forums or is it just a American thing that you have a problem.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I'm on a KTM forum too and you have to make a number of posts before full access . You'll just wind up with a pile of garbage posts . Leave well alone those who come here for an answer will be back again next time they have a problem . Can you all remember what hopeless beginners we were once upon a time . Age cures all ( even breathing eventually ) even the youngsters grow older , patience and tolerance to everyone please .

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am new to this forum, but have been very active on others before.
Typically "new" people resort to forums when they have an issue, or seek help. (I joined for the bike pics and community, but also since I will do my own work and maintenance and there is tons of info and skilled folk here)
Some stick, but most will leave right after they are sorted, without even mentioning the outcome.

Let's keep helping fellow riders the best we can. Perhaps by answering a newby that leaves, we end up with a sticky post or discussion that helps many others.

My 2 cents

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is actually my second go round with this site. Many years ago, I left for a time. At that time the site had become very argumentative and abrasive. I came back with this identity so that none of that would start up again. I am Wire-Wheels on a number of sites and go where the conversation is pleasant and the information is interesting. I do think a 24-48 hold where they could read but not post might help slow some of these youngsters with the attention span or a knat. ...J.D.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I've only been on this site for three short months but have had great fun talking with others about interesting things like buses and parcel tape, by the way have you seen my new thread about socks?

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I've only been on this site for three short months but have had great fun talking with others about interesting things like buses and parcel tape, by the way have you seen my new thread about socks?
Yea i saw your new thread, and if you start that "underwear" thread like you suggested a moratorium on anyone who has been here for just 3 months might go into effect! Now go wash out those socks

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
This is actually my second go round with this site. Many years ago, I left for a time. At that time the site had become very argumentative and abrasive. I came back with this identity so that none of that would start up again. I am Wire-Wheels on a number of sites and go where the conversation is pleasant and the information is interesting. I do think a 24-48 hold where they could read but not post might help slow some of these youngsters with the attention span or a knat. ...J.D.
If you have a problem that really needs sorting, what's wrong with going along to a forum to ask for help from folk who can probably help you out so you can fix it yourself? I always thought that was the main point of these places. So some people come for help and don't stop for coffee - so what? There are plenty of us here willing to spout utter nonsense or just hang out and chat (Jerry, I'm looking at you :) ), but the real beauty of these places is that there are plenty who are willing to advise or help out others who are having issues without any thought or hesitation. Down the line, those that learn may well pass that information that they've picked up here on to others or it may just help them in the future so that they don't need to ask again. That's only to the general good, as far as I can see. If we all needed to be members for 5 years with 1000 posts before we could expect help, this place would never have gotten off the ground.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
If you have a problem that really needs sorting, what's wrong with going along to a forum to ask for help from folk who can probably help you out so you can fix it yourself? I always thought that was the main point of these places.
Nothing.

In the days of MajorDomo (now mail man) mailing lists, every subscriber saw all content, regardless of problem or bike type. Everyone just put what bike type they had in the subject line.

With forums, everything is segregated based on bike type, and wire wheels is complaining that newbies are just asking questions in the first sub forum they come across.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
We all started once and sometimes some have troubles in how things work, we all make mistakes and put things in the wrong place, so what no big deal to have a cry about it, someone will point them in the right place.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts