Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a look at this then, seems Dynojet are bringing out a Power commander for the Tiger. The web site states coming soon for the 05/06 Tiger ? Any thoughts re these gizzmo's

thttp://www.dynojet.co.uk/powercommander/index.htm

·
Registered
202 Posts
I was told by a tech that it was not necessary on the 05 but maybe someone else knows more- like what does it really give you for the $.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This is a sort of semiuneducated guess based on what I've observed with bikes like the SV1000 and also looking at the dynographs available here for Tigers.
I think what it will do is allow you to dial out some of the flat spots in the Tiger power curve. Looking at the thread where a fellow put on a Triumph race can and downloaded the corresponding tune. It appeared he still had significant dips in the power curve after doing that. I think if the Power Commander is installed and someone takes the time to do a careful dyno tune it should be possible to get an extremely smooth power curve.
I'm going to dyno mine in the spring after we get rid of this ***** ethanol and see what its doing. It feels pretty good now but better is better.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I fitted a Power Commander to my BM earlier this year,made a tremendous difference,as the motor had a lot of mods on the exaust and inlet side,but the biggest benifit is haveing someone fit it who is prepared to take the time map it correctly depending on the mods you have.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had an e mail back from Dynojet, no release date yet, watch the web site they say.

It seems it will sell for around £300, but if you have all the mods, ie K&N, different non standard can, then extra expense, up to 4 hours, to custom the map for your Bike. I rang the local dynojet centre who confirm this. A rather expensive exercise ?? As always Winger you are spot on ! :bow:

In relation to the can I have on now, it is a wolf/trident make. ( nice bit of bling winger !!) It sounds great and looks good. I have had the bike re mapped with the Triumph race tune and currently run it with the baffle out. No pops or bangs at all, will check the plugs over the holiday. However, it is 'flat' low down, under 2K revs. Every where else on rev range it is fine. When the baffle is placed back in this 'flat spot' disappears, can not so free flowing as such. Compared to Triumphs own Race can the quality of this bit of kit is excellent, but of course I suppose the triumph one is designed exactly for the Bike ? Is there a small flat spot on Triumphs own ( photos of mine can be found in the albums)

·
Registered
87 Posts
On 2006-12-15 12:05, Trotts wrote:
Compared to Triumphs own Race can the quality of this bit of kit is excellent, but of course I suppose the triumph one is designed exactly for the Bike ? Is there a small flat spot on Triumphs own ( photos of mine can be found in the albums)
I have triumphs after market exhaust on and although I bought the bike with the exchaust on, I'm not too sure if it has the correct map installed. I too have a dip or flat spot around the two thousand mark, but disappears very quickly once over the two mark.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Well the thing i always try to avoid is the 'Is it worth it' syndrome it either works or it doesn't and F.the cost if does, my 1100s had a major hole in it's midrange the PC completely made it disappear it's just linear from start to finish,the hole thing cost a nat's under 400 quid,i'd be interested to see the fitting instructions for the Tiger,their not difficult to follow and fitting is easy,finding somwhere to tuck it out of the way is the hassle,must have taken 6/7 attempts to get it right,heaven only knows were you'd stick all the gubbins!!!,but i have to say i don't have any major issue's with how mine runs.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Why spend a fortune on a Power Commander when Triumph have diffrent tunes awailable. Other bike dont have programable ECU's so they work on them. You will end up spendinga lot of money on very little gain over the Triumph tunes.

I notice some of our US friends talk of flat spots, I have never heard of one one the UK Tiger

·
Registered
61 Posts
So far most of the information I've seen on Tigers tends to be of the "seat of the pants dyno" variety with the exception of this thread.
http://www.triumphrat.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forum&file=viewtopic&topic=63778&forum=26

This one has some actual real dyno evidence to back up his impressions. Note that even with the Triumph tune installed there is a distinct sag in the curve (albeit around 7k rpm) and the air fuel mixture is not as consistent as it could probably be. (What was nice is that he did get a huge improvement in air-fuel mixture and seems to think it improved the running of the bike quite a bit.)
Now whether this is important to you or not is a personal matter, if you want it as good as it can be I doubt that the tunes Triumph supplies will get that as they don't take all variables into account. That requires custom mapping and dyno time, the power commander will give you that ability to map.
When I had a Daytona 955i I noticed a lot of people buying Tuneboy software to try and get custom mapping because the Triumph tunes just didn't suit them, so the notion that Triumph fi can stand improvement is not entirely new.
Mine is stone stock and seems to run well but it does seem to feel a bit soft down low. I'll find out in spring, my intent is to run it on the dyno and see what I have after we get rid of the ethanol fuel about March.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
You've just about covered all the angles, i have to say i had a mighty shock when i had put one on my 1100s,would it be the same on the Tiger??? who knows there's only one way to find out,but i would of thought the supply of 'Tunes' from Triumph(Sagem)both good and bad and there have been plenty of both!!! will dry up with the advent of the new 1050 with Jap fuel injection.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wonder about the 1050 fuel injection also. I've not paid any attention to what the owners are saying
Just being Japanese is no guarantee of anything as far as I see. My SV1000 supposedly has a very sophisticated fuel injection system but the ecu is only capable of very limited adjustment in stock form. The guys who are really after the smoothest possible power curve end up going to a (guess what) Power Commander. Without doing that you have a very perceptible flat spot in the mid-range that can't be tuned out within the parameters of the stock unit.
One thing is for sure fuel injection offers a lot of possibilities for tuning as well as working pretty darn good right out of the box.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts