Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dynojet has released their Power Commander V for the Trident 660.
So far the only available tune is for the stock bike (stock exhaust, stock air filter).
The Yoshi and Zard exhausts apparently don't require a tune when installed, so I assume the Dynojet stock map will work fine with them.
I'm guessing an exhaust-specific map would yield even better results though.
They should post more tunes as the aftermarket starts to flesh itself out and they get the info for various configurations.
There doesn't seem to be specs or a chart on the effects of the map yet, but it's safe to assume they've found more power and torque.
Anyway, now you know it exists if it's something you've been waiting for.
Happy tuning!
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Bumper Circuit component

·
Registered
2022 Trident 660
36 Posts
My biggest complaint with the stock map is the numb/dull throttle response when first taking off from a stop. Remapping the ECU to also give snappier throttle response throughout the rpm range will also be welcomed. Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
My biggest complaint with the stock map is the numb/dull throttle response when first taking off from a stop. Remapping the ECU to also give snappier throttle response throughout the rpm range will also be welcomed. Thanks for posting this.
So does this fix the "throttle lag" that folks have been talking about the bike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So does this fix the "throttle lag" that folks have been talking about the bike?
Unfortunately, we do not keep dyno sheets as they are only relevant for the bike we tested but we expect a gain of 5-10% on a completely stock bike.

Thank you,

Powersports Technical Support
Dynojet Research, Inc.
Free: (800)992-4993

So that's the reply I got from Danny at Dynojet, unfortunately it doesn't say anything about the throttle response issue and sadly no chart, but up to 10% on a stock bike is a pretty good improvement IMO.

The description of the tuner on their site says it can hold '10 throttle position columns', so this is a possible fix but I assume you'd have to take the bike in for a full dyno run and remap to make use of this feature. It's possible the 'stock tune' they offer on the site does improve throttle response but there's no info on that yet. I guess the only way to know at this point is a real-world review from someone who's installed it.

Having said that, the A2 restriction kit has a whole different throttle assembly, so that actually leads me to believe the throttle lag/response is controlled by a chip in the throttle assembly, so a tune may not affect throttle response at all. Or the throttle and ECU maps may be connected and it does/can... I honestly don't know the answer to this...

"The Trident 660 can be fitted with an optional A2 licence conversion kit that restricts performance to levels suitable for A2 licence holders. This includes A2-specific APS twist grip and unique engine tune, restricting peak power to 47.8 PS (35 kw) at 8750 rpm and peak torque to 59 Nm at 5250 rpm. A Triumph dealership can de-restrict the bike to its full power."

I've heard rumours that Triumph has released a new 'more responsive' throttle firmware to dealers for the un-restricted Trident and that new bikes are shipping with it. This is if the new firmware exists, rumours like this happen and I'm not trying to spread it... I just think it's worth an ask. It might be a good idea to check in with your dealer to see if they can install the update for you which should help with the lag some folks been experiencing.

I prefer a really responsive/direct throttle and the lag is definitely there if you're an experienced rider, but I can (sort of) understand why Triumph would want to build a nanny into their 'new rider' marketed bike.

I should probably say that installing and using the Power Commander V module could be bad for your warranty, but I assume anyone who wants to use it is already aware of this.

I know this doesn't exactly answer your question (and probably creates more) but I hope it helps a little bit.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
This just sounds like "soft" throttle mapping on the stock bike, presumably because its partly aimed at newer riders.
It can be easily corrected by changing the ETV tables for the ride by wire throttle using Tuneecu, although a custom dyno tune would no doubt improve the throttle response as well as other benefits, it cannot directly change the connection between the twistgrip and the throttle bodies.

Reactions: scott750

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not sure if they TuneECU have the upated maps yet...but it will be interesting to see when folks get to remap their bikes and provide their results.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Not sure if they TuneECU have the upated maps yet...but it will be interesting to see when folks get to remap their bikes and provide their results.
Seem to be on there

Reactions: Barry Allen

·
Registered
15 Posts
What do you guys think of a programmed ecu instead of having it jokes to dyno?

DNK has programmed ecu’s

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think dynojet’s response is a little odd….isn’t a before/after dyno a pretty standard way to show improvement?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I following this conversation correctly? Basically, there’s two ways of getting a “tune”. You either change the stock ECU map within the bikes control module by using Tune ECU software and the obd2 Bluetooth hardware, or Dynojet has this bolt on fuel map that you plug in and leave your stock ECU alone. Both accomplish the “Tune” in different ways.

However the problem with the 660 is the throttle response. This bike was designed to be smooth as butter and they have slowed the throttle response and I’ll bet money there is a torque limiter that prevents 100% of the available torque from being delivered immediately. I think there is a 2-3 second role-on which prevents the front wheel from raising even with traction control off. You can clearly feel it if you try to do a power wheelie in 2nd. The power is there, however the throttle map wont allow for a quick enough delivery.

What good is a Dynojet power commander delivering 10% more power when the stock throttle response remains the same?

Re-tuning the ECU most definitely voids your warrantee (from my experience the warranty is all but worthless anyway) but it seems like thats the only way to solve the problem. If the goal is more usable power, adding a dynojet is about as effective as swapping out aluminum for titanium hardware and expecting it to go faster. More power is worthless if its delivered slowly.

Is this accurate? Or is there a way for the Dynoject to compensate externally for the stock throttle mapping?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Am I following this conversation correctly? Basically, there’s two ways of getting a “tune”. You either change the stock ECU map within the bikes control module by using Tune ECU software and the obd2 Bluetooth hardware, or Dynojet has this bolt on fuel map that you plug in and leave your stock ECU alone. Both accomplish the “Tune” in different ways.

However the problem with the 660 is the throttle response. This bike was designed to be smooth as butter and they have slowed the throttle response and I’ll bet money there is a torque limiter that prevents 100% of the available torque from being delivered immediately. I think there is a 2-3 second role-on which prevents the front wheel from raising even with traction control off. You can clearly feel it if you try to do a power wheelie in 2nd. The power is there, however the throttle map wont allow for a quick enough delivery.

What good is a Dynojet power commander delivering 10% more power when the stock throttle response remains the same?

Re-tuning the ECU most definitely voids your warrantee (from my experience the warranty is all but worthless anyway) but it seems like thats the only way to solve the problem. If the goal is more usable power, adding a dynojet is about as effective as swapping out aluminum for titanium hardware and expecting it to go faster. More power is worthless if its delivered slowly.

Is this accurate? Or is there a way for the Dynoject to compensate externally for the stock throttle mapping?
I guess the point is, if you buy the dynojet but still need to reprogram the stock throttle map with tuneecu why wouldn’t you just load a whole new ECU tune and fix it all at the same time without the dynojet? I found multiple tunes available now. Both for free and 200 bucks though DNK. Save money without putting more wires and modules under the seat.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Who develops the tune on the tuneecu site? Is it the “best” tune available for that bike configuration? I wish it had additional info like “eliminates slow throttle response”, or “increases rpm ceiling” etc.

I believe tuneecu has the ability to download the stock map doesn’t it? If so, is there really any harm is trying the free tune out? Or even the DNK tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Who develops the tune on the tuneecu site? Is it the “best” tune available for that bike configuration? I wish it had additional info like “eliminates slow throttle response”, or “increases rpm ceiling” etc.

I believe tuneecu has the ability to download the stock map doesn’t it? If so, is there really any harm is trying the free tune out? Or even the DNK tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ones on that list will be stock maps, they do have some custom maps listed for certain bikes. You can't save the map from your bike.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts