Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order my PowerCommander and I noticed that the PC site has an optional "Dynojet o2 Sensor Controller". What is this for??

Motorcycle superstore says "Without the sensor, it is not possible to adjust the fuel curve below 40% throttle or 3000 rpm" I understand what this means but do I need it? I was going to use one of the maps from the site, but some say bike fitted with o2 sensor.

The PC site doesn't have a map for my specific exhaust but others on this site and as well as my local shops have told me that similar maps will do fine unless I am racing. Which I am not.

Please refrain from giving me rude useless comments flamming me about how I should know more about this stuff. This is why I am here. I am just a little unsure on what this means.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the newbness of my concerns. I don't have the money right now to just get the bike dyno'd so I'm trying to work with what I have. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
234 Posts
What bike do you have? At least TT600 & Speed Four don't have an O2 sensor, so you don't need the part.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
Then it has Kiehin injection. I'm pretty sure it has an O2 sensor. As I recall, the hot setup was to disable the O2 sensor, but I don't remember now.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Its a wide band O2 sensor. Your bike will have a narrow band O2 sensor that operates within a specific voltage parameter. The wide band allows for much greater performance tuning as its voltage parameters are much ummmmm wider.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What bike do you have? At least TT600 & Speed Four don't have an O2 sensor, so you don't need the part.
Are you certain of this Pete? I am about to order a power commander for my speed 4 and I've been told that I need an O2 sensor to go with it. I'll be happy not to pay the extra, if I don't need it.

·
Super Moderator
8,838 Posts
I am absolutely, positively sure the Sagem injected bikes, including your Speed 4 do not have an O2 sensor from the factory. Unless you plan on installing one, there's no reason for a Power Commander to look for one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks Will,

No I'm not planning on installing one but I've been getting conflicting opinions on whether I need this plug-in or not. Even my local Triumph dealer thought the S4 had a sensor....

I checked on the Speedfour.org forum and someone over there said the same as you. I'm glad you guys know what you're talking about!

Cheers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am absolutely, positively sure the Sagem injected bikes, including your Speed 4 do not have an O2 sensor from the factory. Unless you plan on installing one, there's no reason for a Power Commander to look for one.
The '01-'03 Speed Triples have a Sagem ECU and use an O2 sensor.

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
185 Posts
Its a wide band O2 sensor. Your bike will have a narrow band O2 sensor that operates within a specific voltage parameter. The wide band allows for much greater performance tuning as its voltage parameters are much ummmmm wider.
The O2 sensor controller that goes with the Power Commander for 600 and 650 Daytona models is not a wide band O2 sensor. Instead, it is a device that fools the ECU into acting as though the sensor is there, when in fact it is not. This prevents the ECU from "correcting" whatever tuning you do in the normally closed loop areas of the fuel maps (below 3000 rpm and 40% open throttle).

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok. So I have installed the power commander without the O2 sensor and...the bike won't start.

I have since taken off the power commander and checked the connections. Restarted the bike with the standard connectors and it works fine.

Put the PC back on and no start. It turns over and eventually backfires.

Has anyone any idea what's going on? I certainly don't.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Ok. So I have installed the power commander without the O2 sensor and...the bike won't start.
Are you saying you removed the O2 sensor? If so, did you install the controller in its place?

I have since taken off the power commander and checked the connections. Restarted the bike with the standard connectors and it works fine.

Put the PC back on and no start. It turns over and eventually backfires.

Has anyone any idea what's going on? I certainly don't.
Are you using a zero map? What do the people at DynoJet have to say?

Any reason why you don't want to use TuneEdit?

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, I couldn't find the O2 sensor. I don't think it has one.

Called Dynojet and they suggested checking the connectors to make sure I didn't have them round the wrong way.... which they weren't.

They also suggested checking that the internal fuse has not blown by testing it with the 9V battery connection. Haven't done that yet but that's my next step.

Re. zero map. I don't know what that means. :eek: The PC III unit is code 512-411 which is supposed to come with a map for the bike ready installed.

I was planning on taking it to a Dyno centre, if the standard map didn't eliminate the crappy stutter at around 3.5k - but seeing as I can't even get the bike started, i won't be taking it anywhere, anytime soon...

Re. TuneEdit - Is that the same as Tuneboy?

·
Registered
185 Posts
No, I couldn't find the O2 sensor. I don't think it has one.
Oh, right, we're talking about a Speed Four, and not a Daytona 600. Sorry for the confusion.
Re. zero map. I don't know what that means. :eek: The PC III unit is code 512-411 which is supposed to come with a map for the bike ready installed.
A zero map in theory changes nothing from stock. All of the ones I've ever installed came with zero maps. Typically you have to select the map that seems closest for your setup from the ones that are available.
I was planning on taking it to a Dyno centre, if the standard map didn't eliminate the crappy stutter at around 3.5k - but seeing as I can't even get the bike started, i won't be taking it anywhere, anytime soon...
Don't take it to a DynoJet center. They'll do their "Autotuning" thing with it, which is complete crap.
Re. TuneEdit - Is that the same as Tuneboy?
TuneEdit is the mapping component of TuneBoy.

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, thanks moto,

I did ask the supplier to download the map for a speed four with aftermarket can before sending so I'm hoping it will be loaded on and not set as standard. Got to get the bloody thing working first!

When I said Dyno centre, I meant a tuning centre with a rolling road so they can set up a custom map (if the one loaded didn't sort the stutter out), but thanks for the tip.

As for TuneEdit/TuneBoy: To be honest, I'd never heard of Tuneboy before. Doesn't seem to be too popular in the Uk.

Getting back to the problem: I tested the PC III with the 9V Battery adapter and the lights come on (the lights weren't coming on with the ingnition) so I know it's not the unit's fuse that's blown.

All I can think is that either the connection to the battery isn't good, although it looks ok to me, or the wiring is shagged. Apart from that, I'm out of ideas. Anyone else have suggestions?

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Ok, thanks moto,

I did ask the supplier to download the map for a speed four with aftermarket can before sending so I'm hoping it will be loaded on and not set as standard. Got to get the bloody thing working first!

When I said Dyno centre, I meant a tuning centre with a rolling road so they can set up a custom map (if the one loaded didn't sort the stutter out), but thanks for the tip.

As for TuneEdit/TuneBoy: To be honest, I'd never heard of Tuneboy before. Doesn't seem to be too popular in the Uk.

Getting back to the problem: I tested the PC III with the 9V Battery adapter and the lights come on (the lights weren't coming on with the ingnition) so I know it's not the unit's fuse that's blown.

All I can think is that either the connection to the battery isn't good, although it looks ok to me, or the wiring is shagged. Apart from that, I'm out of ideas. Anyone else have suggestions?
well if the bike works without the PC it shouldn't be the bike wiring and if the lights come on the PC with a 9v battery it shouldn't be the PC wiring.

Do you have a voltmeter?

I take it when you turn the ignition on the bike turns on as normal but the PC doesn't?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Right. DynoJet centers use rolling road dynos, but they use an O2 derived "autotuning" routine to arrive at the "correct A/F ratio". You don't want that.

Regards,

Derek

·
Registered
56 Posts
well if the bike works without the PC it shouldn't be the bike wiring and if the lights come on the PC with a 9v battery it shouldn't be the PC wiring.

Do you have a voltmeter?

I take it when you turn the ignition on the bike turns on as normal but the PC doesn't?
Don't have a volt meter, no. I could borrow one. How would that help?

Yes, the bike wiring is fine. As standard, it fires up perfectly but with the PC connected, ignition works but lights on the PC don't come on and bike won't fire up.

Maybe the wiring at one of the connector ends of the PC is the problem?

·
Premium Member
7,462 Posts
Don't have a volt meter, no. I could borrow one. How would that help?

Yes, the bike wiring is fine. As standard, it fires up perfectly but with the PC connected, ignition works but lights on the PC don't come on and bike won't fire up.

Maybe the wiring at one of the connector ends of the PC is the problem?
Volt meter could be used to check the wiring for earth's or other faults with the wiring in and out of the PC.

My only thought is to check that you have all the wires connected the right way round. I suppose the wiring out of the PC could be damaged but it still doesn't explain why a 9v lights it up but your bike doesn't.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quick update -

Finally got the PC working. I took it off, checked all the connectors and saw that one of the leads that joined a connector block was pushed back in the housing so it wasn't connecting when plugged in.

I downloaded a map (M512-002 Two Brothers slip-on exhaust and stock or aftermarket air filter) from the power commander website. I'm currently running a triumph carbon fibre ran can and standard filter so was hoping this would be a fairly similar set-up.

After a bit of riding, I have found the performance seems to have improved when winding on the power but not as much I'd hoped for. I read on another website that after installing the PC, the S4 pulled 'like a pit-bull on crack' but seeing as I've never had a pitbull - or any crack to feed it for that matter - I'm not convinced I'm experiencing the same results...

The low speed surging is still quite apparent on a neutral throttle, which is what I was hoping to cure. I know it's not a 'town' bike but riding around in London during the week is a real pain.

So before I fork out more cash for a custom map, I'm wondering if anyone here is willing to share a PC map with me, or knows where I might be able to get hold of one. Don't mind issuing a bit of beer money for your troubles!

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts