Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new addition to the dyno results, this one after installing a TPS and taking the bike to Matt at MD Racing to have him do the 10x10 advance grid map. The results are small but definitely noticeable especially at lower part throttle. I think the effort, which is relatively cheap if you already have the Ignitech, is well worth while.
I owe a big thanks to IRMike for all his research and help with this project.
All in all I think the changes have worked out well. The stock TBS has advertised 83 HP and 56 Lbs. T. at the crank, but put on a Dyno to get the rear wheel numbers Chuck Hawks in his "Standard and Sports Comparison Chart" list it at 72 HP and 52.4 T. which sounds about right. My final Dyno result of 91.84 HP and 58.88 T. at the rear wheel makes me well pleased.
TPS DYNO.jpg
You see the first three steps (on page 14 at this time of this forum)
http://www.triumphrat.net/hinckley-classic-triples/205416-1998-tbs-dyno-results.html

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
Looks great :)

It is mentioned in the thread linked, but this is with Green cams & pod filters (& a freer flowing exhaust).

Oops! Correction, not pods but fully opened airbox - see train5's later post below.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yes, the green cams make a big difference, and so does the raised rev limiter. There's lotsa power up at the top, and a rev limiter that goes up to 9800 lets you take a big bite! tommyturbo2

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are right TommyTurbo, the green cams pump up the top end nicely and while they take some from the lower end the open air box (thank you for that design) and dyno tuning and other changes put the bottom at higher numbers than stock. It pulls well in top gear from as low as 2000-2500 RPM. As I said it is very nice.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
I'm enjoying reading this. I have my "green cams". Actually have the terra cotta paint, out of a 2001 Speed 3. I got my quote from Ignitech yesterday, so I'll get that ordered. I'm not sure what to do with the exhaust yet. I'm SOL on the D&D 3 into 3. D&D told me they don't make it any more, don't have any parts left over to make one, and don't have the jigs anymore! :eek: I hate lean manufacturing practices! So I'm between ordering Epcos, or getting Emgo shorty 18"'s and repacking them.
I was sold on the idea of the pod filters, but my bike starts so nicely on these 30 deg F mornings, I'm starting to have second thoughts. Do the pod filters allow the bike to start and run ok in cold weather?
And I'm still not sure if I want to go with the TPS. I guess, once I have the Ignitech, I can always go for it.
Once again, thanks for posting this stuff up. I'll be modding soon!

·
Registered
694 Posts
CharlieS: Before I went to flatslides I had the stock Keihins with pods rejetted (150's, 42 pilots, and slide transfer port drilled out to 5/32nds). I did 2 winters with that set up, and never had a problem with cold weather. The richer jetting compensated nicely for the lack of the airboxes preheating or cooling benefit. I did find that using the choke/enrichner was needed a lot less on startup. Usually, full choke was needed only momentarily, and half choke would maintain about a 1500 rpm idle while the motor warmed up. Gas mileage on 87 octane non ehanol stayed in the 42-43 mpg range (depending on right wrist spasms).My altitude here in flatland is about 1000-1100 ft. tturbo2

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Thanks for that bit of information, TommyTurbo2. OK then, the pods are a go. I am really amazed at how well this TBS starts on cold mornings with carburetors. I don't want to do anything that's going to degrade that. All in all, I couldn't be more impressed with this bike. I'll have to get with you to find out where to open up that hole to 5/32". I haven't had my carbs or air boxes off yet.
I probably won't pull the bike apart before December. Maybe even January if the weather holds out. If I can decide on a TPS and connector, I'll probably go that route as well. Still undecided on the exhaust. There are a few ways that I can go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts